Pressurized radiator?

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
JST

Pressurized radiator?

#1 Post by JST »

I purchased a new radiator overflow a while back and just put it on.Now the problem is that this one has a extra place for another hose,and keeps spittins fluid out of the extra hole.What is this hole for?I have a 01 FX400 if this helps.Is our radiators pressurized?What can I do to plug this hole?

JST

#2 Post by JST »

Yes its out of the top,now what?

haydug

#3 Post by haydug »

hold your finger over it while you are riding. tongue.gif

You can use a small screw and some silicone to plug the hole.

wistech

#4 Post by wistech »

You can also upgrade to the newer water pump cover with the self bleeder fitting. Another way to plug the fitting off is to use a short piece of hose(1 inch). Stick a fine threaded bolt in it. with hose clamps attach the other end to the tank. That way it will be easy to do bleeder update at your convenience.

JST

#5 Post by JST »

What is the bleeder update and do I need it?

wistech

#6 Post by wistech »

No you dont need it but if you need to change your coolant with the older system you have to open the very hard to get at bleeder screw on top og the water pump housing to make sure there is no air pocket in the head keeping the coolant from circulating. With the newer cover its just hassle free but not needed.

Canniboomer

#7 Post by Canniboomer »

Beware the newer cover is not so perfect either, since the actual air passage is only about 1/16" diameter, intended to purge the air when filling, and not to circulate coolant...but it easily gets clogged with any corrosion, and traps an air pocket with the next refill -- we must always double-check for coolant circulating whenever refilling the coolant....I'm sure many-a-dale is riding around with that passage plugged, which will not be a problem until they drain and fill again. If you rev it up and watch the bleeder hose, you should see some backwash of coolant into the bottle -- if not, you're housing is probably plugged, and there could be a lingering air pocket.

wistech

#8 Post by wistech »

I was going to mention that but seeing its an fx400 with the aluminum valve cover it didnt seem prudent. Now if it was an 02 03 that ever had the green coolant you could guarantee it would be plug city.:drink:

Canniboomer

#9 Post by Canniboomer »

...thanks for beaming me up! smile.gif

wistech

#10 Post by wistech »

Your dead right on the checkup. Everyone should get in the habit of feeling/checking for coolant flow.:head: