cannibal fan runs to much

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
cdaleracer52

cannibal fan runs to much

#1 Post by cdaleracer52 »

For some reason the fan on my cannibal runs way to much. Even if the quad is idling and then shut off for less than a minue the fan will run. My friend has a moto, and he thinks its the mapping that makes my fan go off so often, becuase his fan rarely comes on. I tried running engine ice but it made no differance with the fan. I really hope someone could find a solution to my problem.

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

Get your self a thermometer open up the coolant bottle and stick the thermometer in there.At 180 deg. the fan should come on if it comes on sooner the temp sensor may be shot.If it comes on correctly you need to check your impellar and make sure it is bled.I have also found a rubber cap lodged in radiator hose up against the waterpump inlet.You never know!

cdaleracer52

#3 Post by cdaleracer52 »

Where is the temp sensor located?

Derno24

#4 Post by Derno24 »

Originally posted by cannondale27
.At 180 deg. the fan should come on if it comes on sooner the temp sensor may be shot!

I thought the fan circuit comes on below that at 170!

cannondale27

#5 Post by cannondale27 »

Yes 176 deg F to be exact.

cdaleracer52

#6 Post by cdaleracer52 »

checked the impeller, sensor, and bled the coolant. didnt get a chance to ride it yet cuz my dale is parked behind my dads corvette in the garage and i dont want to move the car. the impeller was fine and i couldnt tell if the sensor was bad or not so im just gonna order a new one from atk.

ducman

#7 Post by ducman »

If you have access to a d&m kit just hook it up and monitor the system, with a cold engine see what the temp sensor reads. This is the best way to tell if the sensor is bad with out just parts changing.

Derno24

#8 Post by Derno24 »

Another trick instead of getting a new sensor would be too test it with a voltmeter. Directions for doing this can be found on the tech page of this forum! Fuel injection instructons I think!

cdrookie

#9 Post by cdrookie »

i wouldn't worry about it. on some machines the fans run all the time, on others hardly at all. as long as it isn't puking coolant, run it. i got my fan on a toggle switch and leave it on all the time.

i'm not sure how it all works but i think the ecu has more to do with the fan running than the coolant temp sen. if i plug my fan into the factory connectors it comes on with the key off, motor cold(not run in days),and won't shut off. changed ecu's and it worked normally.

KYmxracer52

#10 Post by KYmxracer52 »

I ran mine at the track practice yesterday for the first time with the new 450. My fan seemed to run a bit more than usual. May have been b/c it was pretty darn hot out as well. I also noticed my water pump cover seeping a little coolant down the side of the motor. I rode all day and the level didn't change to what the eye could see. Think maybe it would take a little time for the gaskets to seat good? Not sure about it. The quad is freakin fast as heck now. Never knew the 450 would make that much difference!!!! Thanks Haydug.