Cracked Crankcase

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
mzavala

Cracked Crankcase

#1 Post by mzavala »

Does anyone know whats the cheapest way to repair or replace a cracked crankcase (I didn't install the motor mount upgrade)?

Mjollnir

#2 Post by Mjollnir »

NOt many options other than someone who's good with a TIG welder, and that's iffy at best. I think you will need to strip it down to a bare case. I don't think it will ever be like new though.

A lesson to all, especially those with SSM cases - INSTALL THE MOTOR MOUNT UPDATE!

Marc

comander420

#3 Post by comander420 »

look on ebay, there is usually one on there every so often, Just make sure the clutch is the same as you have, then by the motor mount fix

Jaybr

#4 Post by Jaybr »

The SSM cases are "Aged" not heat treated, and they are sealed with something to keep the oil from leaking. The SSM process yeilds a very pourous case.

I would look for a used one if possible.

wistech

#5 Post by wistech »

My brother is a welder training instructor and could weld it up for ya. I only have a light duty mig and its not up to big jobs. He would probalbly heli arc or tig . I dont know I leave it up to the pros to decide. If you want it repaired give me a shout and I will hook you up. Maybe even powdercoat it to match the quad!!smile.gif

mzavala

#6 Post by mzavala »

Would you need the bare crankcase or could I ship the whole engine.

cannibal67

#7 Post by cannibal67 »

JB weld would be the cheapest but not the strongest. you can get that at wal-mart or most of the local auto parts stores.it held good on my old 250x

claas900

#8 Post by claas900 »

..Does anyone know if there is a way to make the case's stronger? Some kind of treating we can have done to them?..

cdrookie

#9 Post by cdrookie »

i've never heard of anyone using the motor mount update that broke/cracked their case.

Jaybr

#10 Post by Jaybr »

Originally posted by cdrookie
i've never heard of anyone using the motor mount update that broke/cracked their case.

My SSM case got a hairline crack during the 6 hour up by one of the head studs:mad:

Did you see the pics of JFarrar's? Whole topend of the motor cracked loose.

Both of these had motor mount updates and neither cracked around the mount.