Won't start!

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
screamin 440

Won't start!

#1 Post by screamin 440 »

I've owned my 02 Cannible for about a year and a half now and has ran great. Was riding her pretty hard last week and after about an hour it started running kinda rough. We stopped and took a little break and it didn't start as easily as it has before and when it did it cutting out while idleing. I parked her and quit for the day. Went to ride yesterday and it wouldn't start at all. I changed the plug, filled her up with fresh fuel and she fired up but wasn't running smooth. I let her run for about 5 minutes and went for a little spin. Ran rough for about 10 minutes then died and won't start. Need some ideas on where to start at.

TheJaspMan

#2 Post by TheJaspMan »

First thing I would check is how much juice the battery has and is putting out.

Jaybr

#3 Post by Jaybr »

Try the fuel filter also, reccomended change interval is 10 hours.

screamin 440

#4 Post by screamin 440 »

The battery is only about 3 mths old plus i charged yesterday just to be sure. Fuel seems to flowing through the filter but i think i'll change anyway just to eliminate that possibility. Any other ideas.

TheJaspMan

#5 Post by TheJaspMan »

But how much power is the battery putting out? Don't assume that beacuse it's new it is working correctly. It's too simple to check to rule it out.

Also check and make sure your idle screw has not backed out. I like to rule out the simple things.

Jaybr is right about the filter. Sometimes they last a long time. But all it takes is a small peice of something to ruin a good one. For $.85 it's worht ruling out.

screamin 440

#6 Post by screamin 440 »

I changed the fuel filter checked the battery (12.69) and still no go. Tried to start her and it tried to fire twice, then backfired through the exhaust. Sounded like a .410 shotgun going off. Any other ideas.

cdrookie

#7 Post by cdrookie »

check the flywheel. might be cracked or slipped on the hub making it out of time.

comander420

#8 Post by comander420 »

if the battery is fully charged and the plug is changed check the flywheel key, I think it's suppossed to point to c in cannondale

timbomoose

#9 Post by timbomoose »

Could be the throttle body (throttle pos sensor)If you have a d&m kit check make sure as open the throttle slowly the percentage is going up normal(10-15-20-25-etc)not(10-40-45-20-25-etc) and also try recalibarating.Good luck.

FUGITV

#10 Post by FUGITV »

my 01 cannibal did the same thing, and the flywheel had gotten loose and started to waller out the flywheel on the crank. is was still close enough that the crank position sensor could still get a reading, but far enough out to screw up the timing. just something to check, its only 4 screws to get the cover off:)