Fuel Filter Fuel Level?

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
GREYDRAGON

Fuel Filter Fuel Level?

#1 Post by GREYDRAGON »

I HAVE A 2002 440C ,,,IT STARTS GOOD AND RUNS GOOD FOR AROUND 20-40 MINUTES,THEN DIES AND WONT START...FOR THE MOST PART IT STULLS WHEN GIVING IT GAS...I NOTICED DURING IDLE THE AMOUNT OF FUEL GOING INTO THE FUEL FILTER IS NOT CONSISTANT...SOMETIMES VERY SLOW DRIP SOMETIMES NOTHING AND SOMETIMES IT GUSHES INTO THE FILTER...CAN ANYBODY TELL ME IF THE LEVEL INSIDE THE FILTER SHOULD BE CONSISTANT AND IF SO,HOW MUCH?

Derno24

#2 Post by Derno24 »

Well PSI in the system is supposed to 42 psi. As for what is in the filter I think that would vary. Stalling while revving could be a couple things give more details and we will see if we can help.

jfarrar

#3 Post by jfarrar »

check the orings on you quick connects.if you have good fuel flow one minute then bad flow that is probably what it is.

jn2jhavens

#4 Post by jn2jhavens »

I had a very similar problem with my '02 E440. Especially if I rode it for the 20 to 40 minutes and shut it off, it would not restart unless I let it sit a while. What I found was the water pump impellar had discinagrated and was just spinning on the shaft. I don't know if the bike has a shutdown once it gets so hot or not. Just my 2 cents.

Derno24

#5 Post by Derno24 »

They do have a setting in the ecu if it gets too hot to shut itself down, but we have found that doesn't always work.

NRath

#6 Post by NRath »

They apparently don't shut down when they overheat. But if you kill it/shut it off, they on't restart until they cool down.

Derno24

#7 Post by Derno24 »

Originally posted by NRath
They apparently don't shut down when they overheat.  But if you kill it/shut it off, they on't restart until they cool down.

I would agree with you if I hadn't seen one shut down due to overheating while riding.

TricityCdale

#8 Post by TricityCdale »

I can vouch for the fact that they WILL (at least mine will) shut down when they get too hot. I had that happen to me several times last year at St. Anthonies when I didn't have my coolant bled properly and had no coolant flow. It took me a while to figure it out.

cannondale27

#9 Post by cannondale27 »

I bet the reason some shut off and some dont is either the HEX code or a bad power relay.If your quad doesnt timeout after two minutes(you will hear the relay click with key on but not running)it will also not shutoff if it overheats(guess).