stalling cannibal

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
4punksdad

stalling cannibal

#1 Post by 4punksdad »

The 03 cannibal I just picked up from guy seems to be acting up. Yesterday was the first time I had a chance to ride it for any period of time.

It needed a jump in the morning to getting it running. It always started fine after that.
One time it stalled in mid air while hitting a small double...........scared me, but I chalked it up to being in the wrong gear.
Then it stalled twice while running along in about 4th or 5th gear over fairly smooth ground. When it did this, it would not pop start at all. When the bike coasted to a stop it started back up via the starter no problem.

What could be the cause, and what is the fix. Sorry if this has been asked before.

NRath

#2 Post by NRath »

One thing a didn't mention to check for the stalling is the stator wires. As recently as yours was built, it shouldn't be a problem, but it was for me. It would just stall out of the blue. Unlike mine, though, once when yours died, it let a healthy backfire. I really doubt it's the stator wires, but it's something that's fairly easy to check. Look at where the wires run behind the flywheel and into a little clip- the wires should have a shielding on them all the way out the other side of the clip. You can see this behind the black cover on the right side. Don't tighten those screws too tight when you put it back on!

LapTraffic

#3 Post by LapTraffic »

what's it do to you when it dies 4 punks? any clues from the engine, I couldnt tell from NRath wether it was yours that backfired or not.

Assume fuel filter's been changed.

Could be simple, like corrosion in your kill switch bayonet connectors near the radiator. That would give you an intermittant open causing a kill condition, I think if you were running hard and it died like that you could get a decent backfire if the circuit closed again.

That's where I would start looking. Has a kill tether been added?

If you can give more details on what happens when the bike dies it would be helpful.

Thanks

EricM

#4 Post by EricM »

mine did the same thing, the second i would let off the gas it would stall even when riding at pretty high speeds, it also smoked some and fouled two plugs. i took it to the dealer and it was putting in almost twice the fuel it was supposed too, after they corrected that it took care of the stalling, it hasnt fouled a plug since and it even sounds and runs differently

4punksdad

#5 Post by 4punksdad »

maybe the quadshop guys can hook it up to their computer when they come down in may & tell me what its doing?????????

NRath

#6 Post by NRath »

You have more patience than me if you can wait that long to try to solve the problem!

4punksdad

#7 Post by 4punksdad »

Originally posted by NRath
You have more patience than me if you can wait that long to try to solve the problem!

with no dealer near me, I dont have many choices. Unless I buy the software & hardware.

4punksdad

#8 Post by 4punksdad »

i'll check that if all else fails cannibal. thanks for the tip

jcv440

#9 Post by jcv440 »

Check all your wire connections under the battery tray Joe. Mine did the same thing last summer, as soon as I got over a certain RPM range, the system would be drawing too much electricity, and the system would shut down. I also could not pop start the machine, you had to hit the start button to reset the system. See if it does it all the time at a certain RPM range also.

Mine ended up being a faulty connection with the Pingle kill switch. I replaced the wire connector, sealed it off, and it worked fine.

Also loosen up the battery tray and pull the battery. THe motor mounts have been known to wear through a battery, grounding out the system. It sounds like an electrical problem, but raise your idling alittle and see if it helps also.

You really just have to tear it apart over the weekend, and un-plug/re-connect every wire and see if one seems loose.

4punksdad

#10 Post by 4punksdad »

jcv,
I am going to be getting a new battery soon and I will make sure all is tight then. thanks for the tip.