Chopping Exhaust

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
LapTraffic

Chopping Exhaust

#1 Post by LapTraffic »

I have a TI-4 exhaus ton my dale right now and I want to shorten it because it sticks out past the grab bar.

What is the preffered technique for shortening with basic tools. Hack saw, drill, hammer, beer...

smile.gif

candyassmiler

#2 Post by candyassmiler »

i was wondering the same thing for my hmf. Speaking of beer, a girl in my literature class read a poem she wrote about beer never getting old, and my professors reply was, "you're still young. there will come a time when beer just won't do it for you." a little off topic, but it was funny.

LapTraffic

#3 Post by LapTraffic »

LOL

Sounds like a cool prof

I have an HMF that I want to shorten up too, not because its too long but the rivet holes are all blown out.

How short are we supposed to go?

bombsquad54

#4 Post by bombsquad54 »

lap, beeing that the exhaust is titanium you will need a NEW hack saw blade.

when you cut the exhaust leave the tip on, this will give it more stabilization, mark it then cut it but no further back than the holding bracket! to hold it still have a buddy over because and holding device could damage it. lay down carpet or something to keep from scratching it. after its cut to the length you want to take your tip off ( three bolts) then take a drill bit and drill out the pop rivits, then hold your insert up to the new cut off end and mark your new pop rivet holes make sure the exaust is packed with packing, and the core of the exhaust is trimed to the right length to fit the tip on and drill the holes, put your pop rivets in, and remember that the tip is supposed to face down so make sure your allignment is right with the rivets. after that just put your tip on, it will look like this :

LapTraffic

#5 Post by LapTraffic »

Did you do anything to get yours shiny gray like that? Mines blue and has a lot of hard hours on it and kinda looks like crap... can I wet sand it to get the blue anodizing looking more natural? The decals are all melted off and it's scratched up etc.

So you are making the cut on the header side?

Did you need to repack or were you able to reuse what was in there?

Where does the beer come in?

bombsquad54

#6 Post by bombsquad54 »

no i cut on the end cap side, and you can use the extra packing from the part you are cutting off, no beer when working with saws

LapTraffic

#7 Post by LapTraffic »

so did you wet sand the can or is that how it came?

Derno24

#8 Post by Derno24 »

Lap that is basically a brand new quad there. That is why the can looks like that. The Blue look

bombsquad54

#9 Post by bombsquad54 »

well you can get some metal polish and do a little good, or try steel wool

Sandstorm

#10 Post by Sandstorm »

No rivots but screws, cermaic coating inside and out, shorter then rear grab bar = Big Gun...