header pipe hitting frame?

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
SCOTMO58

header pipe hitting frame?

#1 Post by SCOTMO58 »

I have a full HMF exhaust and I noticed that my header pipe sits extremely close to my frame and it looks like it make have made contact a couple of times. Has anyone ever had a problem with this?

Psychosis

#2 Post by Psychosis »

Haven't paid attention to the HMF on the ATK but the Trinity on the Dale has actually burned out a little part of the subframe. It connected to it when I got it and Trinity said it was fine. There's a bit of the subframe that's basically melted off or something, I'm not sure, around where the header goes.

Canniboomer

#3 Post by Canniboomer »

... I have seen the opposite where the FMF header was starting to burn a hole in the tank!! good thing his crank went out first!sad.gif

They must be Very inconsistent --- beware

Braff1

#4 Post by Braff1 »

mine is very close to the frame also. I am going to try heating it up and using a ratchet strap or wench to try to flex it away from the frame just a little bit.

Canniboomer

#5 Post by Canniboomer »

Try using the motor running to heat it up uniformly, or maybe you can figure out a way to "strain it slightly" inward while riding, and see if it resets to the new position after cooldown. Let us know how it works, tks.

Happyboy

#6 Post by Happyboy »

I would suggest taking the header off and bending it then. Maybe take it to a muffler shop if you can't bend it. You risk messing up or breaking the header studs if you bend it while it is mounted on the quad.

Just my .02

wistech

#7 Post by wistech »

What Happyboy said. If you crank the idle up and run it super lean to where the pipe is glowing red you might get away without damage. But why risk it. The exhaust is easy to remove.

Braff1

#8 Post by Braff1 »

Originally posted by Happyboy
I would suggest taking the header off and bending it then.  Maybe take it to a muffler shop if you can't bend it.  You risk messing up or breaking the header studs if you bend it while it is mounted on the quad.  

Just my .02

Good suggestion, I guess that is why I come here to hang out with you smart people.

Canniboomer

#9 Post by Canniboomer »

...most muffler shops would prefer to see it on the bike first, as just a few degrees can change things alot, and avoids unhappy customer, or running back-forth... good luck.

wistech

#10 Post by wistech »

You should take the quad right to the muffler shop and have them fit er up on the spot. :hammer: