diamond racing 450

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
bestonearth

diamond racing 450

#1 Post by bestonearth »

i have a cannibal with a diamond racing 450 motor that i had done last summer. The motor runs excellent and i'm very satisfied. They other day I noticed that it was leaking coolant out the back of the motor where the head bolts on. I pulled the motor and put a new gasket in and re-siliconed it. I have a question about the timing however, I pulled the timing chain before locking the crank in TDC. Can't I just line all the dots up on the cams as pictured in the manual and and then lock the crank in TDC and install the timing chain? Also when I put it the motor back in, I stripped the slave cylinder on the hydraulic clutch but I have one ordered. I tried to start the motor with everything but the clutch hooked up and it turns over fine but does not start; is this because i don't have the slave cylinder on?

cdrookie

#2 Post by cdrookie »

the slave cylinder bolts to the case right?????? a new cylinder wouldn't help. you need to install some helicoils in the case.

bestonearth

#3 Post by bestonearth »

no, i stripped the part where the cable itself threads into.

Happyboy

#4 Post by Happyboy »

You should be able to put it in nuetral and get it running. Then you just need to install the clutch to shift.

cannondale27

#5 Post by cannondale27 »

No you cant just line up the dots and then put the chain on.BEFORE you move the cams you must make sure the piston is down at least a little then you move the cams,line up the dots and only then should you put the crank at TDC.If you dont do it this way there is a good chance the valves will hit the piston as you are turning the cams over.

bestonearth

#6 Post by bestonearth »

great to hear that cannondale27. that is exactly what i did, however it didn't seem to want to start when i tried with the clutch disconnected. I didn't look at it a whole lot because i had to go back to college, but it seemed to turn over too easy. I didn't know if this was because of the slave cylinder being disconnected or not. I will be home this weekend and hook up the clutch and see what happens. I sure do hope i don't have to pull the motor again. Anyways thanks, I'll let yall know what it is if I find out this weekend.