Cracked Case, any opinions??

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
haydug

Cracked Case, any opinions??

#1 Post by haydug »

Started to assemble a motor, and found these cracks, so though I'd share them. This is a "unicorn" case, so welding is an option. I thought about tigging up the weld, and re-drilling on the upper left cartridge plate hole ( 2 cracks) but above it there is another crack. Any opinions, wisetech, 27, timbo??

haydug

#2 Post by haydug »

never mind, just found another blemish that rendors it useless. :cry:

jacobw

#3 Post by jacobw »

what is a unicorn case and what are a say a non- unicorn case?

fred

#4 Post by fred »

Any ideas what caused the cracks?

cannondale27

#5 Post by cannondale27 »

Before you throw away the Head O-ring check the size of it and the groove depth.I wonder if the size of oring was big or the groove small which would cause huge amounts of pressure and could make the case crack like that.I think Jfarrars was caused by that only his was the sleeve groove that was too shallow.Unbalanced cranks arent helping any of these cracks also.

wanablaze

#6 Post by wanablaze »

Think the parts store will take a return?

MX Quad Dad

#7 Post by MX Quad Dad »

Anybody ever try to repair the top grove, it really don't get much pressure and it would be pushing out also? That is except for the pressure to squish the o-ring.

how much would it cost to ship the case to MI.

Mjollnir

#8 Post by Mjollnir »

Originally posted by jacobw
what is a unicorn case and what are a say a non- unicorn case?

Until early '02 model year, Cannondale used a cast case with a cable clutch. They then decided to start using a Magura hydraulic clutch and had a new SSM process (powdered metal) case designed to accept the slave cylinder, but the manufacturer of the new cases was late in delivering the first batch. Cannondale took what is generally thought to be a couple hundred of the cast cases and had them machined to accept the Magura slave cylinder. These rare cases, which are the stronger cast metal AND accept a hydraulic clutch, were dubbed the "Unicorn Cases" by Steve "Maz" Maslinak.

The other cases are simply called "cast" or "SSM". You can tell what you have by looking near the tranny drain plug, if there is a "Cannondale" cast into the metal, it is an SSM case. If there is not, it is cast. If it is a cast case AND has a hydraulic clutch, you have a Unicorn!

Dang, sometimes I am useful!

Marc

cannondale27

#9 Post by cannondale27 »

Yea what a shame.Those are rare:cry:

claas900

#10 Post by claas900 »

..I bought that one on ebay about 2 weeks from that member on here,cant think of his name right now?..I bought it cuzz iv had every issue cannon has had,all but too,cam decomp and cracked case..so im ready for it..lol.