Ive got the quietest Dale ever.

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
wistech

Ive got the quietest Dale ever.

#1 Post by wistech »

Ive been mulling over a way to quiet down the hammering engine noise these motors make and I think Ive found a winner. I coated a side cover and clutch cover on the inside with rubberized silicone. About an eighth inch on the side cover and a quarter inch on the clutch cover. The results were fantastic. The quad is not as quiet as say a 400ex but its quiet enough so as you wont know its a Dale coming at you. You can actually talk to someone without shouting while the engines running. I can now hear the camshafts , cam drives ,and clutch all separatly. A friend of mine stopped by today and was shocked when we compared the deafaning clatter of my moto to the speeds tame whiring. I cant believe Cannondale didnt do something like this from day one. They might have sold a heck of a lot more quads.

MrSlithers

#2 Post by MrSlithers »

I think im gonna try that. Can ya give everyone a step-by-step process on how to do it?

CannondaleRider

#3 Post by CannondaleRider »

Interesting:)

c41xracer

#4 Post by c41xracer »

this sounds great but what is the temp. resistance of the Silicone?I would be afraid of it melting and getting in my engine

theJeStEr1340

#5 Post by theJeStEr1340 »

I like all the clatter. It scares people away from wanting to ride my Dale... they couldn't handle the power anyway.

wistech

#6 Post by wistech »

The rubberized silicone is the stuff I use on ford powerstrokes and 444e diesels. Its one of the best sealants Ive ever used. It can easily handle the temps. Its Waker T-44. Basically I just made sure the cover were ultra clean and dry. Then applied a thin layer on the inside of the cover making sure it didnt interfere with moving parts . Let it set up a day and installed. I did a double thick layer on the clutch cover because there is at least a half inch of clearance behind it. I ran it for a while and change the oils and nothing was on the tranny filter so it didnt hit any gears. I will try to get a sound recording so you can hear the difference.

haydug

#7 Post by haydug »

I know when Cannondale was in business, they were experiementing with rubberized bed liner material on the inside of the covers. They said it made a huge difference. Wisetech, got any extra covers laying there??

wistech

#8 Post by wistech »

Im running low on side and clutch covers. Ive only got a couple in silver /clear. One clutch cover in yellow.
I was thinking about bedliner but am not sure about how it would stand up to prolonged exposure to hot oil. It says it oil resistant not oil proof.

wistech

#9 Post by wistech »

Heck no. That Waker stuff never comes off anything without a fight. Its not your ordinany silicone. Its about the only thing international has thats worth a crap. If it dries on your fingers you have to wait til your skin sloughs off to remove it. The rubber in it must have a lot to do with its sound dampening properties.

quadprorider

#10 Post by quadprorider »

I have a left and a right black side covers for sale. $40 smile.gif