Dropped and ready

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
chigger81

Dropped and ready

#1 Post by chigger81 »

Today I dropped the motor on my 400fx (bad crank). Its still sittin on a floor jack as I was too tired of messing with it to put it anywhere else haha. It has like a reverse star on the bolts for the oil filter and right side cover, so I guess I really need that to go any further. If anyone knows what I am talking about, will a 12 point socket take them out without stripping? The tranny oil bolt was stripped, so I am gonna get another one of those at blackwidow I guess. I used a magnet and did find some shavings in the motor oil, I havent got to look at the filter yet, but Im sure its got plenty in it. How would you suggest I purge the frame of all the shavings? or will changing oil durning break-in on the motor once I get it back on there take care of that? I have the engine manual and a nic clean place to work, but I am not sure yet if I feel up to tearing it all apart. What do you guys suggest?

Psychosis

#2 Post by Psychosis »

If you feel confident in yourself I say go ahead. These engines are very easy to work on IMO. I just tore up my 03's engine and except for a few bolts that had been stripped from when it was opened by the previous owner, all went well. Just make sure to take pictures and label/bag items you can to know what to do w/them.

The Manual is very nice and makes it easy. Someone said on here before that the manual has a couple things marked wrong though. Anyone care to elaborate?

Cdale_racer_669

#3 Post by Cdale_racer_669 »

u will want to flush the frame probably. ive never done it so ill let someone else elaborate on that!

CannondaleRider

#4 Post by CannondaleRider »

FX400:drink: :usa

chigger81

#5 Post by chigger81 »

Hey, it was midnight. lol :eek:

Psychosis

#6 Post by Psychosis »

Originally posted by chigger81
Hey, it was midnight. lol :eek:

5am here.:cheers: :wow

Happyboy

#7 Post by Happyboy »

Find the correct socket to remove those bolts. You don't want to take a quick way out on these motors, it will bite you in the ars if you do.

chigger81

#8 Post by chigger81 »

Ive finally got the tool and Ive got all the fluids drained and all the filters out. Ive found lots of shavings and they have all been magnetic. I took the crank case cover off and got it to top dead center and put the tdc bolt in. Ive been labeling and sorting everything I get out of it so far. If I have some time tomorrow night, I will get a little more serious about starting on it. Ive got some pics of what I have found in it so far here: http://bikepics.com/members/chigger81/01ca...sp?i=283279&s=0

I need to know what to use to purge the frame of shavings. Would it be ok to use diesel fuel? Anyone done it before?

Just out of curiosity, can anyone tell me what this number means?

http://bikepics.com/pictures/300073/

timbomoose

#9 Post by timbomoose »

Use diesel fuel.Mixes good with oil.Plug off all your oil lines on your frame and fill with diesel fuel.Then shake the live he!!/1 out of the frame to stir it up also can spray air in the breather hose by the air filter to stir up then drain.When it looks like almost nothing is coming out do it two more times.Usually take 5-6 times.Can also circulate with a pump.When done run a couple quarts of oil through and make sure to shake frame to remove the diesel fuel.Also be sure to clean out the sump on the case, its also a good idea to use magnets to collect anything you might have missed.kdeal is selling magnetic drain plugs and wistech and c27 put up some nice posts on how to install them in your sump and frame.Make sure to cange you oil after your 1st hr of rebuild.Good Luck!

chigger81

#10 Post by chigger81 »

Ive got it down to trying to get the piston out. Ive got the circlips off and I am wonder how to tackle the rest without the "special tool". Does the wrist pin need to turn or could I just use a bolt to get in there and pull it out with a washer and nut on the other side?