Valve Cover Problem

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
moto-rider-7

#1 Post by moto-rider-7 »

zwill what cover are you talking about i cant see it not that i have looked at the quad.

but i know my quad and just cant think of what one it is .
being that i crashed my truck i have time to work on the quad .

i should check this one out . and thanks for your time .

blaze#52

#2 Post by blaze#52 »

hey, same thing here, pulled my valve cover to adjust the valves and the valve cover had erosion behind the impeller. i have heard someting about a black valve cover? (update?) i put it back on, i hope it will last this season, if i find coolant in the oil i will know where to look.

MX Quad Dad

#3 Post by MX Quad Dad »

I would like to know what coolant you are useing and how old your engines are. I have one of the first MOTO's and I am just reassembling it now and don't see any pitting. Was still running factory coolant and I was planning to use ENGINE ICE by Cycle Logic, if anybody has had a problem with this please let me know.

drbowtie

#4 Post by drbowtie »

Hey!

Give this some thought. The corrosion is due to the glycol based anti-freeze.

So... What if we change the type coolant in use to DEXCOOL III by General Motors? That coolant is oil based and actually extends the life of hoses and water pumps.

Expensive, but top of the line product...

What do you all think about that one?

cannondale27

Valve cover pitting

#5 Post by cannondale27 »

This problem was posted months ago by me and smitty.The problem occured when cannondale switched to magnesium valve cover the first covers were regular aluminum they were fine the newest ones are powdercoated black to prevent this.

blaze#52

#6 Post by blaze#52 »

hey, i just took the green coolant out and i put dex-cool from GM in, hope this makes the erosion less and lasts the season.

drbowtie

#7 Post by drbowtie »

I just came back from the garage... My top valve cover peice is black in color... Does this mean that my motor will not be effected by this?

jbomb

#8 Post by jbomb »

Can you see the valve cover from the side or do you have to take the gas tank off? When was this problem fixed?

cannondale27

#9 Post by cannondale27 »

I am sorry I cant remember what color the first valve covers were possibly they were plain aluminum?Those would be good.The tan ones are bad.Black is the newest should be good.The waterpump can be removed without taking out the motor if cover is bad then you will have to remove motor to replace valvecover.

LapTraffic

#10 Post by LapTraffic »

On Cannondaler.com it was reccomended to use NPG+ non water coolant.

Has a much higher boiling point and does not permit corrosion.

I changed from water wetter to this product.