bike dies after 10 min.

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
steve-222

bike dies after 10 min.

#1 Post by steve-222 »

Well, I tested it this weekend with not very good results. After about 10-15 mins of riding it shuts down. It won't start up after it shuts down until I wait about 10-20 mins. Then acts like nothing ever happened. When it shut down, I had about 1/3 throttle and the engine just cut out. I was on a flat surface so no bumps to bounce any wires, but it acts like some one just hit the kill switch and turned it off. sad.gif

spark is ok
flywheel is ok
fuel is pumping
battery at 13.7v
grounds are still ok

Is there a way to test the coolant temp sensor to see if it is sending faulty info to the ecu?

When an ecu goes bad what does it or doesn't it do?

Can the ecu relay do someting like this?

Canniboomer

#2 Post by Canniboomer »

somebody else can answer those questions -- but could it actually be overheating? bad impeller or circulation problem?

Derno24

#3 Post by Derno24 »

There is a way to test the temp sensor on the head. I have to read the wiring manual to give you better directions, but I think the manual can be found online here in our tech section.

The ecu could be bad and still work there is no real way of saying yes I have a bad ecu unless you switch it out.

anything is possible.

One question what makes you think it is due to a faulty heat reading. Could be a bad wire in the harness to. Reason I ask is if the fan isn't running then it may not be your problem.

Check all your connections too.

steve-222

#4 Post by steve-222 »

when it shut down I stuck a thermometer in the radiator and it was at 160. The impeller was just replaced last month. I am going to pull the cover tonight and make sure the bleed hole is not cloged an make sure that the impeller is on tight with the washer behind it. I am also going to change out the ecu with my other bike. well see what happenes.

cannondale27

#5 Post by cannondale27 »

Sounds good.Sometimes electronics are affected by heat.Stators are notorious for that.ECU could also be affected same way.

aroracer72

#6 Post by aroracer72 »

you can start it right?????......go start it and let it idle for like 5 minutes.....and touch the radiator....if its still cold like the engine never even ran...then you have air bubbles in your lines...ive had this many times when changing coolant and stuff. And yes check the big bach of wires and those connections....you dont need bumpy conditions for them to act up....sometimes they are jsut loose from the begginning.
CHAD

440rider

#7 Post by 440rider »

i'd recalibrate the throttle and the TPS. Have you rerouted your fuel lines? I had a similar problem it stalled about mid throttle like it was out of gas. I shielded and rerouted my fuel lines and reset the throttle and checked the TPS and it has run great for the last 2 yrs.

440rider

#8 Post by 440rider »

also check o rings and fuel filter. Is your stator sheilded? I also had a prob like that because my stator wasn't sheilded properly.

steve-222

#9 Post by steve-222 »

Originally posted by 440rider
also check o rings and fuel filter. Is your stator sheilded? I also had a prob like that because my stator wasn't sheilded properly.

by sheilded do you mean the plastic sleeve that goes around it?
don't know I ordered a flywheel puller over 2 weeks ago and have not recieved it yet. I ordered one from haydug on friday and should get it tomorrow. I will check then.

Orings are new and so is fuel filter.

steve-222

#10 Post by steve-222 »

Originally posted by 440rider
i'd recalibrate the throttle and the TPS. Have you rerouted your fuel lines? I had a similar problem it stalled about mid throttle like it was out of gas. I shielded and rerouted my fuel lines and reset the throttle and checked the TPS and it has run great for the last 2 yrs.

did you have to wait 10 mins. before it would restart? also I don't have a d&m kit. Anybody near DFW Texas have one?