Found this in my coolant reservior

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
dalewannbe

Found this in my coolant reservior

#1 Post by dalewannbe »

It was the size of about nickel. Not sure what it was. It broke up pretty easy.

My quad overheated in our first race of the year. Trying to figure out the reason. I pulled off the pump cover, impellar looks fine, but didn't appear to be pumping coolant.

No valve cover corrision at all! My valve cover is powder coated black, on an 02 unicorn motor.

Coolant was some bright orange stuff...anyone know what type of coolant this was.

Upgrading to one on dougs aluminum impellars.

Here'a a pic:

dalewannbe

#2 Post by dalewannbe »

I ground the stuff up, here's what it looks like. Almost looks like dirt, but how would that get into my cooling system?

cannondale27

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

I think Dubya ran Catepillar coolant in that quad.

kdeal

#4 Post by kdeal »

I'm just guessing, but that maybe some sort of add in tablet, to help with corrosion or cooling issues. As you found this in the reservoir tank and it is too big to pass through anywhere else. Even if it came from the radiator, it would never get thru the cooling tubes.

jwheat

#5 Post by jwheat »

My guess is that it is some type of block sealant such as "Alumiseal".

cannondale27

#6 Post by cannondale27 »

A anode huh kdeal?I bet you are right.

kdeal

#7 Post by kdeal »

I was in the auto parts business years ago. They use to sell all kinds of stuff to stick in the radiator or overflow bottle. Anything is possible. But what is unique is no corrosion found at all, with a magnesium valve cover.

Canniboomer

#8 Post by Canniboomer »

you could send it for analysis to CSI Mosinee ! smile.gif

Smitty911

IF it was an anode

#9 Post by Smitty911 »

If it was an anode there would need to be some kind of grounding to the frame. IMHO. That would allow for it to become the ground and actually work. They make something similair for cars. It attaches though a cable to the cap and the cap gounds to radiator and the radiator to frame. Knee bones connected to the, opps sorry about that was on a roll.

What did the impeller look like? Was it missing any pieces?

Smitty

cannondale27

#10 Post by cannondale27 »

Gus I know Dubya(this was his old quad?)knew of the corrosion problem.He said he had a Aluminum valvecover.That he maybe powdercoated?