Houston....we have a problem!

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
jwheat

Houston....we have a problem!

#1 Post by jwheat »

Just finished up going through an engine that never ran after Winky rebuilt it. It now cranks and runs great, but......it is blowing coolant back out of the overflow bottle. It will suck the coolant out of the bottle when you cut the engine off and will fill the bottle back up and overflowing after just a minute or so of running. I wondered about it having an air pocket, but this is a self bleeding sytem and it has run more than long enough to bleed itself out. My suspicion is that the o-ring between the head and the top of the sleeve did not seal good. I did not replace the o-ring when I went through the motor because it had not been run since Winky rebuilt it and it still felt soft. If anybody has any ideas, I would greatly appreciate the help. Otherwise, I'll be pulling the motor back out tomorrow and replacing the o-ring beneath the head.:mad:

fig

#2 Post by fig »

Does it have the bleed line between the radiator and the water pump housing? If so, verify that it is not plugged. Pop off the hose on the radiator and make sure you can blow thru it. The hole in the pump housing cover is small and it does plug easily.

Jaybr

#3 Post by Jaybr »

I think your on to something with the head gasket, sounds like it has a small leak.

I've had mine get an air bubble and not bleed, and it didn't overflow anything, just didn't circulate coolant.

jwheat

#4 Post by jwheat »

Update.....Did a cylinder leakdown test on the motor and I was getting pressure back in the coolant reservoir. I took the motor back off tonight and took the head off and there was no o-ring on top of the sleeve. I feel kinda stupid for missing that when I put it together, but it was my first Cannondale motor.ohmy.gif But, I was going behind Winky and there was no o-ring on the sleeve when I took it apart. Guess I should have paid a little closer attention after all of the other things I found wrong with this "freshly rebuilt Winky motor". Oh well.....live and learn.

speed2424

#5 Post by speed2424 »

This is where the CD comes in handy!!!!

cdrookie

#6 Post by cdrookie »

this is also where HDC motorwork comes in handy

aroracer72

#7 Post by aroracer72 »

Winky should be put on a deserted island with all of the quads that didnt work out ther with him. So that way he can live and die with all that he ahs accomplished in life!!!!!.....winky has done some great things...but his service is in MY oppinnion...horrid.
CHAD