fx400 ball bearing cranks?

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
wistech

fx400 ball bearing cranks?

#1 Post by wistech »

Has anyone ever had a problem with changing the flywheel roller bearing (brass cage)on the fx400 cranks to the ball bearing. Ive done one so far and its still going but doesnt have many hours on it. I just got in 3 cases and was debating weather or not to go ahead and machine them for the new roller system. I think if any one has had even one failure this might sway my decision. Thanks.

superfly

#2 Post by superfly »

I have a 205 new style bearing in my fx style case. I posted about the ball bearings a while back.

link

timbomoose

#3 Post by timbomoose »

My one buddy put a ballbearing in his,but doesn't have that many hrs on it.If you're going to ride alot I'd be safe and sleeve the case.If you end up sleeving the case give me a call and I tell you what you need to do.Just make sure to sleeve the existing bearing pocket and not to go wider than it already is.There's an allen bolt that runs through the case inbetween the c'shaft and crank for strengh.Breaking into that would ruin the case.You also need to machine the pocket deeper and open up the drip feed oil hole.Once it is made to depth it will block off old oil hole.

wistech

#4 Post by wistech »

Well I modded my first case today for the 02 bearing. It turned out within .001" of perfect. The worst part was making the spacer . It takes so long to cut all that metal down and the final cuts had to be right on. Luckily the first try was sucsessful. Fits like a glove. :head:

kdeal

#5 Post by kdeal »

Good work.

:clap:

:head:

theJeStEr1340

#6 Post by theJeStEr1340 »

Excellent job! What would this community do without guys liek you. (that is a serious comment, we wouldn't have much success with out stuff without innovators doing what they are doing)

pdavis

#7 Post by pdavis »

nice work :clap:

wistech

#8 Post by wistech »

Oh ya I forgot . Thanks Tim.

440EX4ME

#9 Post by 440EX4ME »

Just something I thougt of while reading this to be carefull of.

I am not sure if you guys checked on the tolerence or clearence guidelines for the actually bearing your using, but the exact size of the bore your pressing into (and the shaft too if it applies) should be checked.

There has been more than one case of bearings being used with too much or little of an interference fit having problems, and since its such an easy thing to avoid may as well be sure up front.

I am not saying any of you are missing that info or messing up but just wanted to offer a suggestion, and I can actually get you the info on the specs if you need them (for most of the brg mfg's anyhow).

wistech

#10 Post by wistech »

Good point. I have had several conversations on this matter. I finnaly ended up going with a snug fit of the bearing inside the sleeve and making the sleeve the exact same size as the original bearing to keep stress on the cases the same . I couldnt find any info on sleeving bearings except for using the wafer sandwich type spacers . Those didnt seem likely to handle the load ,keep from shifting and centering the crank.