2 bikes with problems help needed?

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
jacobw

2 bikes with problems help needed?

#1 Post by jacobw »

1. rebuilt motor everything it timed right all the connections are in the right places, battery is good cranks over just fine, had good spark, even changed pugs, throttle bodby boot tight, the engine cranks but will not fire. Even tried wd 40 in the throttle body. Anything short of hooking a dm kit to it we have one on the way so. will the dm kit tell us what is wrong?? I have not experience with them.

2. Thought it was air in the coolant system so we stood the bike on the grab bar for 2 days. Then went out and rode when th ebike gets warm is spits and sputters then wants to die. We replaced the battery with new ones. Replaced the coolant sensor. Still no results. You can ride if for about 5-10 min no prob but as soon as it starts to get warms is spits and sputter and cuts out you have to clutch it and let it build back up to keep it running. Anything short of hooking it to a dm kit??

Derno24

#2 Post by Derno24 »

Wel if you are getting the D&M kit then I would say wait till you get it to eliminate the electrical issues. When replacing a motor I always do a throttle recal. Just in case the idle screw moved. These machines will not fire up if they are out of tune. I have had this problem several times before and just getting a TPS recal and setting the idle properly worked like a champ. As for the coolant issue. When you get your d&m kit trying swapping the ecu for giggles. I had a problem with cold weather maybe it does the same in warm. It also may be TPS settings too so don't panic!

jacobw

#3 Post by jacobw »

yeah I fugure the dm would tell us I just get puzzled trying to figure these things out to many variables to figure out without the dm kit.

NRath

#4 Post by NRath »

1. How do oyu know you have good spark? Just because you can see a spark doesn't mean it's strong enough to run the quad. Try putting your other coil in it. Along the way, see if they are sparking the same. If it's okay, pull the injectors and see if they are both spraying the same.

2. Is the fan running when it starts acting up? Problem could be related to temp sensor. Have you ohm'ed it out to see if it's working right?

fig

#5 Post by fig »

Do both radiator hoses heat up? Does the radiator get hot?

jacobw

#6 Post by jacobw »

Originally posted by NRath
1. How do oyu know you have good spark?  Just because you can see a spark doesn't mean it's strong enough to run the quad.  Try putting your other coil in it.  Along the way, see if they are sparking the same.  If it's okay, pull the injectors and see if they are both spraying the same.

2. Is the fan running when it starts acting up?  Problem could be related to temp sensor.  Have you ohm'ed it out to see if it's working right?

1. when the plug is pulled is sparks good. I will pull the injectors to see if they are both working.

2. it dosent get warm enough for the fan to run yet. The radiator is not even to hot to touch yet. I put a new coolant sensor in last nite same thing as before. The fan doesnt run like the cannondale does when shut off. I am sure it run but it never gets that warm before acting up.

jacobw

#7 Post by jacobw »

Originally posted by fig
Do both radiator hoses heat up? Does the radiator get hot?

Nope the radiator is not even hot its slightly warm but not hot it never gets hot before it wont run its just sputters then wants to die you have to baby it along.

jesshamner

#8 Post by jesshamner »

Originally posted by jacobw
1. when the plug is pulled is sparks good. I will pull the injectors to see if they are both working.

2. it dosent get warm enough for the fan to run yet. The radiator is not even to hot to touch yet. I put a new coolant sensor in last nite same thing as before. The fan doesnt run like the cannondale does when shut off. I am sure it run but it never gets that warm before acting up.

If the coolant is getting blocked, wouldn't it prevent the radiator frm heating up?

I had a coil that was sparking pretty good from what i could tell against any other small engine. But when Doug put a new one in...it was a very big spark. It should really be sparking a lot and very bright.

fig

#9 Post by fig »

Does the frame spar heat up from the oil getting hot? Have you disconnected the water pump vent line from the radiator and blown back towards the pump to make sure that the hose/pump housing nipple isn't bocked?

NRath

#10 Post by NRath »

1. I'm still not convinced the coil is good.

2. It doesn't seem so much like a cooling problem even though it seems temperature related. With the temp sensor in the head, the fan should still come on when the quad heats up, regardless of a blocked radiator or bleed hose. Hook 12 volts to the fan, does it run? Check the temp sensor with an ohm meter to double check that it's definitely working. There are instructions in the EFI troubleshooting manual. Maybe there are multiple probs: plugged bleed hose & faulty fan circuit. Seems unlikely.