2002 Speed with Unicorn Case in IL

dalewannbe

2002 Speed with Unicorn Case in IL

#1 Post by dalewannbe »

This is one of the few out there???????????????..the good motor with the hydraulic clutch.

I??????????????????m comtemplating selling my 02 speed that has the good case with hydraulic clutch. I??????????????????ve managed to piss off the wife by getting my son a Kasea 50cc Skyhawk.

I have my stroker ready for action and another project dale that I have been trying to finish.

About the quad:
It has a guesitimated 40 hours on it. I bought it with 20 hours on it and I??????????????????ve put 8-9 harescrambles on it, plus a few other trail riding hours. It overheated on me on its very first race, I changed out the coolant and made sure I didn??????????????????t run a number plate with the protective radiator cover on it and I??????????????????ve haven??????????????????t had any cooling problems since.

This quad is solid and is a strong runner. I currently have the x map in it and it rips. I guarantee there will be no disappointments with this quad.

It has a hmf pipe, and it may have an aluminum valve cover on it. The valve cover does not have a hole for the cam sensor, but the previous owner told me he updated the valve cover. The valve cover showed no signs of corrosion when I pulled the water pump cover to examine the impellar after it overheated.

I will put the speed plastic back on it and this quad will look very shape. I put different plastic on it when I raced it.

Depending on the interest I will start changing the plastic soon and get some pictures posted.

dalewannbe

#2 Post by dalewannbe »

I've had some pm's asking about price.......$3000. DJ clean out your mailbox.

yamadjs08

#3 Post by yamadjs08 »

Originally posted by dalewannbe
I've had some pm's asking about price.......$3000.   DJ clean out your mailbox.

Cleaned!

comander420

#4 Post by comander420 »

**** Gus your selling that for $3,000? You must have gotten into a good argument with your wife, that thing was beautiful. Trade you a Timbomoose built engine with a stroker crank, and a cracked case for it!! I'll try to give you a call sometime. Did you see that on the UORRA website you are the only one they don't list what your ride is?

dalewannbe

#5 Post by dalewannbe »

Commander, I see you post every now and again, but I was beginning to wonder if you were still alive.

They (uorra) did mention my quad brand before, not sure why not now?

I just haven't gotten that 02 cannibal back together like I had hoped, although I believe the motor is ready. Just need to flush the frame good, but its boating season now.

If the speed don't sell, no problem at all, believe me. I think the wife has cool down now so I'm probably safe for a little while.

We need to hook up some time. I can't wait to get the stroker into action!

whoamack22

#6 Post by whoamack22 »

so does your speed have the updates or no?

yamadjs08

#7 Post by yamadjs08 »

Originally posted by whoamack22
so does your speed have the updates or no?

Well they say that the unicorn motors happened to be the best motors from the factory, not just because it had the stronger cases and the hydraulic clutch, ****** was telling me that they didnt really need the updates as much as most of the other motors, I guess during this time this is when the cranks were most in balance and so the stage 8 really isnt nessacary because vibration was cut down a bit, and the z400 crank bearing would be good, but with a balanced crank the bearing shouldnt wear near as fast. But of course updates are always a great thing if your willing to do them...

wistech

#8 Post by wistech »

Crank balance has nothing whatsoever to do with the rod bearing failures. Early cranks were better balanced and seemed to lessen the chance of cartridge plate bolts loosening up . Just because its a unicorn motor doesnt mean it has an early fully machined crank. Also the cast cases were a bit stiffer and tended to flex less on the cartridge plates. The only real way to tell how good its balanced is to fire it up and feel the vibrations. Some are dead smooth and some will make your hands numb. Hope this clears things up.

wistech

#9 Post by wistech »

I see what your saying. Its just to hard to put any kind of straight down the center rules as far as what engines lasted longer. Ive only been through about 30 engines and it didnt seem to make any difference what crank or case it had. Each engine has to be taken on a case by case basis.

The cranks that are refered to as "billet" are the same forged cranks as the newer ones . They just had more machining done to them to get them more accuratly balanced. That is what timbo does to get his cranks so smooth. Just finish machines them to the early crank specs. Hard to say if fx400 cranks would have outlasted the newer ones . Almost all were ruined by main bearing failures. The real shocker is what weve been finding in the last batch of 03 engines. They could have ANY parts in them.

Sorry if we got off topic.

yamadjs08

#10 Post by yamadjs08 »

Originally posted by wistech
Crank balance has nothing whatsoever to do with the rod bearing failures.    Early cranks were better balanced and seemed to lessen the chance of cartridge plate bolts loosening up .  Just because its a unicorn motor doesnt mean it has an early fully machined crank.   Also the cast cases were a bit stiffer and tended to flex less on the cartridge plates.    The only real way to tell how good its balanced is to fire it up and feel the vibrations.  Some are dead smooth and some will make your hands numb. Hope this clears things up.

Originally posted by ******
MOST of the engines in the time period that the unicorns were produced had the Billet balenced cranks that got some of the longest engine times on them. That's all I was saying.

IMO crank ballence was the problem for MOST of the problems we had with these motors.

Thanks for steering me in the right direction guys, I wasnt too sure on the whole thing with the crank bearings or not, and I didnt mean to make it sound like it was for sure a good motor just because it was a unicorn case, sorry ******, I didnt mean to put you on the spot, thanks again guys, keep your eyes peeled... Im sure Im going to need some more correcting some time:drink: