Flywheel key

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Kos462

Flywheel key

#1 Post by Kos462 »

Is there a reson my flywheel key keeps on breaking this is the 2nd time it happened

cdrider02

#2 Post by cdrider02 »

Ihaven't read of a dale with this problem yet but some of the others here probably have. Polaris had this problem on the early rangers and had us use 271 red loctite on the crankshaft, this is normally not the correct way to install a flywheel on a self holding taper, normally both pieces need to be clean, dry, and free of oil before assembly. Try the latter and find the torque spec before you try the loctite on the shaft. Also try 243 blue loctite on the nut.

wistech

#3 Post by wistech »

Its also possible your idle may be to low. Lower rpm can put higher shock loads on crankshaft parts because of the erratic speeding up and slowing down . This used to be a big problem on diesels but its possible on any engine. You might want to be sure you flywheel gets pinned also.

cannondale27

#4 Post by cannondale27 »

Really advanced timing will do it also.But 1st I would check to be sure you have correct key.There was more than one size used.I am on lookout for the oddball size so I can post a pic and specs.

jesshamner

#5 Post by jesshamner »

One of yamaha's models has our flywheel keys. Go there and match it up. I think I kept the bag with the part number but I'll have to go home to get it and I won't be back until Sunday. Just go to the yamaha stealership and match it up. Mine has lasted longer than the first 2 cdale keys I had.

theJeStEr1340

#6 Post by theJeStEr1340 »

Originally posted by jesshamner
One of yamaha's models has our flywheel keys.  Go there and match it up.  I think I kept the bag with the part number but I'll have to go home to get it and I won't be back until Sunday.  Just go to the yamaha stealership and match it up.  Mine has lasted longer than the first 2 cdale keys I had.

How do you mess up the flywheel keys?

jesshamner

#7 Post by jesshamner »

Well, I guess i didn't tighten the flywheel nut enough the first time. The second flywheel key just didn't hold up. I don't know what was wrong with it.

cannondale27

#8 Post by cannondale27 »

I wonder if from it spinning the first time the shaft got a little buggered up and flywheel doesnt make good contact.