What is better... piston or stroker crank

cannondale27

#11 Post by cannondale27 »

Timbo stroker crank with stock piston=448cc:

tat

#12 Post by tat »

True on the rev part. You dont have to rev them as much but the stock stroke dale motors liked to be revved. This whole topic is opinions only. Everybody is different. That is how/ type of riding they do. I think for my application a stock crank-big bore piston-port job would be my best bet. You can get a stock crank pretty easy now days. Where as a stroker crank you would have to wait on one to be completed. If you race that would not be a good thing waiting on one. Just a opinion though.

c41xracer

#13 Post by c41xracer »

what porting was done on the 450 big bore??if it wasnt done by timbo then i would expect a difference.In my opinion i would rather the stroker 450

cannondale27

#14 Post by cannondale27 »

No porting on 450 big bore.The power difference could very well be because the stroker is ported.There is a wait.But it is worth it.

tat

#15 Post by tat »

ITS ALL GOOD! One ??? for 27 is this a true race ported head or just a match/clean-up port job. There could be a really big difference in that also.

wistech

#16 Post by wistech »

Originally posted by tat
True on the rev part. You dont have to rev them as much but the stock stroke dale motors liked to be revved. This whole topic is opinions only. Everybody is different. That is how/ type of riding they do. I think for my application a stock crank-big bore piston-port job would be my best bet. You can get a stock crank pretty easy now days. Where as a stroker crank you would have to wait on one to be completed. If you race that would not be a good thing waiting on one. Just a opinion though.

If you race and needed to get the quad back up and running you can install any configuration you want. i dont know whats harder to get a stroker crank or a 450 piston and sleeve.?

tat

#17 Post by tat »

Well if I had won the lotto, hmmm, I would have all of it and the quads to put it in. I have a stock bore sleeve and piston back-up for mine. Its not much, but would do in a pinch. This has turned out to be a good post so far. No badmouthing or such. Just really good opinions.

cannondale27

#18 Post by cannondale27 »

That stroker is race ported not just matched.(lots of metal)Factory really missed the boat on porting.Some heads are really sad looking.

tat

#19 Post by tat »

I think a good port job is the key to a great running motor. Stroker or stock crank - big-bore or stock-bore. Period

cannondale27

#20 Post by cannondale27 »

Earlier this summer I ran 450 stock stroke,Ported by Tim.I agree that thing really ripped on top end.Never got it on dyno regretably.Went with stroker crank which is a much more useable power for me.What I notice with stroker is that it is darn near impossible to stall the motor.Think Diesel that revs like a Ferrari.Kind of like a Hayabusa vs a GSXR 1000 both get job done but do it entirely different.