new engine.

Happyboy

#21 Post by Happyboy »

Keep one thing in mind, if the motor is like new then there is a darn good chance the crank has no wear on it. If you wait say 15 hours or run time and drop the motor you could have wear on the crank to the point it can't just have the Z400 bearing installed. You could have to get a new crank or make that one a stroker. Not saying 15 hours is the number, just an example.

Kid 3 hours north of me had 1 fail right at 10 hours while there are some on this site that have 200+ hours on theirs (no failure, but good bet they have wear).

Just thought I would share the risk with you so you are totally informed in your decision. Getting it upgraded right now is very cheap and well worth it if you have the time to do it.

The cranks are pure luck it seems. The early 02 models (cable clutch) seem to be the best while the late 03s seem to be the worst. But there are exceptions to both of those.

walsh450rmx21

#22 Post by walsh450rmx21 »

well personily.
i would love to keep the motor in it and ride the piss out of it for a while. but this is a later 02 with a hydro clutch. and the guy informed me that it has about 50hrs on it.
so idk what im going to go as of right now i guess ill save pu some money then see what happends..

cannondale27

#23 Post by cannondale27 »

If you have that many hrs on it chances of saving the rod arent very good anyway.If you have time and money do it now.If you dont.Just ride the heck out of it,change your oil religously and do this.Run paper filters take a razorblade and cut around the top and bottom of filter.You will then be able to spread out paper it is like 3ft long.Take a picture of anything on the filter first time you do this.Then compare it everytime after.If more metal is noticed in later changes.Its time.Add magnets to your sump,drainbolt and even one will fit in pleat of filter itself.If you cantaminate your frame you will be swearing everytime more pieces show up later after fixing.Magnets will help prevent that.
The big clutch cover and a flashlight you can look at most of bolts.Only takes a minute.
Also pay attention to noises motor makes.Yes dales are noisy but you will get used to it and be able to hear new noises.Chain slap has scared me more than once but listening to right side of motor can give some warning.Not riding on revlimiter may help also and its right way to ride anyway.Sounds like alot but it really isnt a big deal to take some precautions if your not going to do the upgrades right away.Who knows you might be one of the lucky ones.Sure is a sweet quad.Doesnt look like it has 50 hrs on it.Need some indicators of time?

Happyboy

#24 Post by Happyboy »

Ah, didn't know it had that many hours. And on the model year thing, its gets bad confusing. Looks on the bottom right hand side of the motor just below the sprocket. If it has the word CANNONDALE on it then you have a newer SSM case. If it doesn't have any writing then you have a cast case that was machined for the hydro clutch. When people generally refer to an 03 they are talking about the SSM case and 02s are the cast. That is just in general though.

I would check the bolts and just do the motor when you get a chance. At 50 hours your rod is probobly shot but it may or may not fail. It could run a while, or not. No telling and there are pretty much no indicators for a rod bearing failure. sad.gif Just luck of the draw.

Have fun on it and we will be around to help you out when the time comes for your upgrade.

walsh450rmx21

#25 Post by walsh450rmx21 »

Originally posted by cannondale27
If you have that many hrs on it chances of saving the rod arent very good anyway.If you have time and money do it now.If you dont.Just ride the heck out of it,change your oil religously and do this.Run paper filters take a razorblade and cut around the top and bottom of filter.You will then be able to spread out paper it is like 3ft long.Take a picture of anything on the filter first time you do this.Then compare it everytime after.If more metal is noticed in later changes.Its time.Add magnets to your sump,drainbolt and even one will fit in pleat of filter itself.If you cantaminate your frame you will be swearing everytime more pieces show up later after fixing.Magnets will help prevent that.
The big clutch cover and a flashlight you can look at most of bolts.Only takes a minute.
Also pay attention to noises motor makes.Yes dales are noisy but you will get used to it and be able to hear new noises.Chain slap has scared me more than once but listening to right side of motor can give some warning.Not riding on revlimiter may help also and its right way to ride anyway.Sounds like alot but it really isnt a big deal to take some precautions if your not going to do the upgrades right away.Who knows you might be one of the lucky ones.Sure is a sweet quad.Doesnt look like it has 50 hrs on it.Need some indicators of time?

right... i didnt understand anything u were saying about the magnets or nothing..

walsh450rmx21

#26 Post by walsh450rmx21 »

o but the guy told me this one has a hydro clutch he said it came with it.. so is that good or bad?

Happyboy

#27 Post by Happyboy »

the hydro clutch isn't a good or bad thing in itself. Looks at the case below the sprocket. Does it have the word cannondale on it or not? If so then it is an SSM case if not then it is a cast case.

walsh450rmx21

#28 Post by walsh450rmx21 »

im not with the quad now its at my property ill look when i go out there.