Clutch adjustment tool?

440rider

Clutch adjustment tool?

#1 Post by 440rider »

I have a cable clutch and was looking in the manual and saw there's a tool to adjust the clutch from behind the pressure plates anyone know what i can use to do this?

61austin

#2 Post by 61austin »

8mm socket, pair of vice grips, and an allen wrench. If I remember right that is all that you need. Use the vice grips to turn the socket and locknut while holding the stud with the allen wrench, once the nut is broke loose you can adjust the stud in or out with the allen wrench.

440rider

#3 Post by 440rider »

ok, i'll give it a try and this is to adjust the clutch control arm right? Not to familiar with adjucting the clutch internally I'm getting new plates and want to make sure all is adjusted properly. Tks

RoooStEr Pops

#4 Post by RoooStEr Pops »

Put the new plates in first you might not need to do any adjustment. I went from the 9 to the 8 and did not have to do a thing but put them in.

440rider

#5 Post by 440rider »

yes, i'm going from the 9 to the 8 as well. I'm hoping the clutch was my prob..felt like the bike was revving but no power or lack of power. Stock clutch and I've been on it since 02.

61austin

#6 Post by 61austin »

Originally posted by 440rider
ok, i'll give it a try and this is to adjust the clutch control arm right? Not to familiar with adjucting the clutch internally I'm getting new plates and want to make sure all is adjusted properly. Tks

What I explained was for the internal adjustment on the pressure plate, there is also an adjuster on the clutch cable itself which only requires a couple of wrenches.