Sounds crazy but,........

justfine

Sounds crazy but,........

#1 Post by justfine »

I called the dealership that I bought my Moto from to check on the motor-mount update, and he told me to check and see if my sidecase had cannondale on it. He said the ones that do are already good, and they don't need the update. Sounds like some crap. Anybody have any insight?

Jaybr

#2 Post by Jaybr »

I believe your dealer got it backwards. I can't find the bulletin, but it was for the SSM cases and you can tell you have the SSM case by the Cannondale on the side. I know I don't have it on my case and didn't need the update but I did it anyway.

Cannibal440

#3 Post by Cannibal440 »

Jaybr is right the SSM cases are the ones that have been breaking. If your case says cannondale, get the kit. It's easy to install and cheap insurance.

4punksdad

#4 Post by 4punksdad »

I got my kit from the quadshop and installed it in about 15 minutes. While I was right there I decided to shim the battery away from the mounts too.

Speed 1B

#5 Post by Speed 1B »

so if i have an old style cannibal with the carillo rod and high comp wiseco i dont need the stud update??

NRath

#6 Post by NRath »

Speed 1B- That's correct, you don't NEED it. But, it is a stronger and improved method than what you have. To remove the POSSIBILTY of the case cracking, you might want to get it. I have the same cases you have and haven't yet added the update. There are a coiuple other things I'd like to do before I'm willing to spend the money on that.

Jaybr

#7 Post by Jaybr »

Originally posted by Speed 1B
so if i have an old style cannibal with the carillo rod and high comp wiseco i dont need the stud update??

We where talking about the motor mount update, not the stud update.

As far as motor mount, the TSB didn't apply to the older motors. But for $29 and 30 minutes install time it's worth doing for insurance.

The stud update is another issue that has been debated a great deal. I have the old style case like you, I was told by very good sources that I shouldn't be worried about the stud update. I pulled all the bolts and cleaned and red loctited them back in when I had the motor out. None of mine where loose after a year + riding. You probably don't have too much to worry about, but If you really want to play it safe, I'd be looking at the stage 8 kit.

danyeo

#8 Post by danyeo »

Yes, the motor mount update is pretty easy, you just need to drill out the threads of the 2 bolts you will replacing. It's one long bolt which replaces 2, it's worth doing so you don't have to worry about it. Make the new bolt is torqued to the spec, i did the motor mount and just tightened it with a regular wrench and after a few hours the nut came off, luckily another rider had an extra.

Derno24

#9 Post by Derno24 »

Danyeo just admit it you just don't have the umph to turn that nut on tight.

I always hate it when my nuts fall off.biggrin.gif

danyeo

#10 Post by danyeo »

Oops! Gotta eat some more Wheaties!