Wife says no 4wheeler/Dirtbike til our son's 8-9?HA

Pro400EXC

Wife says no 4wheeler/Dirtbike til our son's 8-9?HA

#1 Post by Pro400EXC »

Fella's,

I was mentioning that when my son is old enough to do thing I'd like him to start riding at a young age.

If he doesn't wanna ride than thats up to him.

But...i mentioned getting him a 50 or something when he is 4yrs old and goin up from there..She said "**** no, thats too young..maybe when he's 8 or 9" i was like...c'mon how can he get good by starting so old?

Geez.

guys how do i convincer her that our lil boy needs to start riding young?

jwheat

#2 Post by jwheat »

Take her and him to an arenacross or outdoor motorcross and let her watch all of the kids race. If he likes it and she sees that they can do it and still be safe. Then she might give in a little. Especially if your little boy starts taking about wanting to do it.

speed_demon

#3 Post by speed_demon »

Buy him a battery powered quad (Power Wheels, etc) and once she's convinced he and stop & turn without hitting things maybe she'll reconsider. My boy had a power wheels at 19-20 months and a few months ago I bought him an Eton 50. He's 3 and rides it well. Most kids quads now have throttle limiters & kill tethers-heck some have remote kill switches! Like I said above just show her that he can recognize obstacles and maneuver around tham, or stop completely. (Oh yeah, just don't let her see him standing on one leg on top of the seat, or tyring to to a no footer while riding-she might get mad:hammer:That's what I get for letting him watch all those Huevos videos! )

GDITheman

#4 Post by GDITheman »

i bought a 1985 suzuki 50 for my boy when he was 7. he was too big for it then, but it got him started. i now have him riding a 90. i had my daughter riding the 50 this summer about 2 months before she turned 2. she can turn and hit the throttle. haven't taught her how to use the brake yet. she is small for her age.

my wife had to learn that horsepower will be a part of our life.

J. Delaney

#5 Post by J. Delaney »

My daughter loves her little Kazuma 50. Just leave it in first and screw down the throttle stop. Just buy one.

AMRsCdale450grl

#6 Post by AMRsCdale450grl »

I know that you specifically asked for "the guys" opinion on this, but a wife's 2 cents might help too.. biggrin.gif

Me and my hubby are planning on having kids soon and I'm all for getting the little monsters on a quad ASAP!! I definately think 4 is old enough..

The way I see it, if the kid starts riding at 9 or 10, s/he is going to need to start out on a bigger quad (which means they're learning on something that could potentially hurt them worse). If they start out younger, they are gaining valuable experience on a bike that is limited in its ability to hurt the child.

Hope this helps do some convencin'!! smile.gif

~Fen

J. Delaney

#7 Post by J. Delaney »

One thing that comes to mind is to put good riding gear on the kid every time they ride. You also need to keep them well supervised. I think that is the most important part.

jfarrar

#8 Post by jfarrar »

on my sons first birthday i got him a small power wheel quad.he rides the sheat outta that thing.it has a thumb throttle button that he pushes and he rides it so long he has to keep switching fingers.he developed the skills to ride it quickly and can steer it and everything.take him off and he is screamin his headoff.lolhe will be 2 this summer and i am seriously considering buying him a smaller 50.(he wants the zuk like daddys)if he cant ride it his older sister can till he will be able to

cannondale27

#9 Post by cannondale27 »

Wow Jason they sure grow fast!Looks like your going to be buying alot of quads for your boy:cool:

GDITheman

#10 Post by GDITheman »

we got my son full gear. boots, chest protector, a few pairs of pants and jersies and gloves, good helmet and a couple pairs of googles. i spent as much, maybe more, on his riding gear as i did his first quad. it has saved him a lot of big bruises and he knows to always wear his gear when riding. safety is number 1. that helps his mom get over some of her fear.

my wife made me paint the old suz 50 pink for our 2 year old. i just got it back together this weekend and she likes it a lot. once the wife sees it's a family activity and it's safe, she'll accept it more.