New welder. Looking for quad projects for fun.

GDITheman

#1 Post by GDITheman »

I just got a new welder last weekend. It's a Lincoln 175 amp wire feed mig welder from Lowe's. Now that I have it, I'm looking for some cool and simple ( been years since I welded) quad related projects.

Throw some ideas at me.

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

Reason I bought my sp110 was to fix the cracked 250r and Banshee frames on my quads.Now that those are gone I am happy to say I hardly ever use it.You could build a trailer for your Dale though.

GDITheman

#3 Post by GDITheman »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Aug 10 2006, 12:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Reason I bought my sp110 was to fix the cracked 250r and Banshee frames on my quads.Now that those are gone I am happy to say I hardly ever use it.You could build a trailer for your Dale though.

i have a small enclosed trailer. i can also weld aluminum with this welder. i might try some bumpers or some nerf bars for my son's quad.

cannondale27

#4 Post by cannondale27 »

I never tried Aluminum on mine.From what I hear a spool gun is almost mandatory.Also need different gas.

GDITheman

#5 Post by GDITheman »

i was just asking some of my welders if i needed a different gas and they didn't know. which gas is used for welding aluminum? I forgot the spool gun might be necessary for the aluminum wire. thanks.

i got on a stick welder at work today and had some the pile drivers give me a refresher course. it's been about 5 years since i welded, but the welds look good enough for me.

383astro

#6 Post by 383astro »

You weld aluminum with argon. You can buy a spool of aluminum wire and use your mig gun, but the spoolgun welds are so much nicer.

oh yeah and argon is about double the price of CO2

azcannon

#7 Post by azcannon »

I have a miller with the dual gun setup and I use straight argon for aluminum and a mix for the steel. I think a spoolgun is mandatory for a mig.