Turbo Dale

aroracer72

#11 Post by aroracer72 »

Call the company that makes turbo's for all the major sport quads....cant remember there name...but they had kits for ds650's, and all "other major sport quads".

Id use a kit for a yfz450.
Chad

RonDK

#12 Post by RonDK »

I have no experience with any of what you guys are talking about but couldn't something be done with a smog pump to inject air like a blower? They had an article on paatving about turbos too..Turbos

Mjollnir

#13 Post by Mjollnir »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Dec 9 2006, 06:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes plenty of volume but with a bushing type bearing they need pressure.Way more than we have.

Wait a minute, pressure is measured in bar on the dyno sheets, right? The dyno sheets for my two bikes show 6 and 8 bar. That's 87 and 116 psi. That's definately more than 40 psi!

Marc

cannondale27

#14 Post by cannondale27 »

Its not measured in bar.We have 6-8psi according to guage hooked up at oil filter.Will have to try it at scavenger pump return line though.

claas900

#15 Post by claas900 »

We do have to do a lot of thinking on doing this. Iv always thought about useing the scavenger pump return line also but then were do you go from there? Im sure oiling isnt going to be an issue. Also its my understanding that the scavenger pump return line has a lot of air going threw it?
I didnt think a turbo would use that much oil,and we'd be able to Tee off of the scavenger pump return line and maybe put in a restrictor in it? But also what do you do with the oil coming out of the turbo? Could we use one of the orther vent lines something lower then the turbo? Do i know you cant have an oil back psi on a turbo,if theres going to be then you'll need a pump to take it awya from the turbo.
I dunno just somethings to think about,just some ideas to toss around. I hear there working on oillsess tubos wink.gif

wistech

#16 Post by wistech »

Looks like you boys dont mess with turbo's much.
There are several reasons the scavange line is not good.
1 it will be unfiltered oil.
2 scavange lines are full of oil with gobs of air mixed in. A turbo needs a good supply of constant pressure to maintain the tight clearances between the bearings. Air in the system would let it move around a lot. Anyone who has seen our sight glasses while the engine is running will agree.

The main oil pump is an issue as well due to our system not using restrictive bearings to build up good oil pressure. Plus could the oil pump handle the extra load and volume. Thats one tiny pin driving that thing.

Id say a separate oil fed system or a ball bearing turbo would be the easiest and most reliable . Im sure there are systems out there . Somebody just needs to dig in a do the searching. Get er dun. biggrin.gif

peterock

#17 Post by peterock »

I made some phone calls and this is what I was told/advised. This was from Garret Turbo's.

There is not a bearing turbo out there that small. The best solution for our application would be a stand alone oiling system. The guy told me they have already made them for pocket rockets and just use a fuel pump for the pump. They would recoment going with something like the Garret GT1544 or GT 1548.

Turbo would need to be liquid cooled so we would have to tap into our cooling lines.

Also thinking since we already have a fuel pump we could splice off those connections and just use the same fuel pump except for oil and have a small resevoir created.

twisted

#18 Post by twisted »

QUOTE (peterock @ Dec 11 2006, 11:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I made some phone calls and this is what I was told/advised. This was from Garret Turbo's.

There is not a bearing turbo out there that small. The best solution for our application would be a stand alone oiling system. The guy told me they have already made them for pocket rockets and just use a fuel pump for the pump. They would recoment going with something like the Garret GT1544 or GT 1548.

Turbo would need to be liquid cooled so we would have to tap into our cooling lines.

Also thinking since we already have a fuel pump we could splice off those connections and just use the same fuel pump except for oil and have a small resevoir created.

Thats some good info, I'd love to see a turbo on the dale thats pushing 60hp already... Maybe we could bring one of these to four stroke wars biggrin.gif

cannondale27

#19 Post by cannondale27 »

Yes thats what I figured for oil.DS650 uses babbit bearings like a streetbike or car so they have plenty of pressure.Alot of these other turbo quads you seem to hear about them running a little bit and then nothing after that.Must be a reason.The turbo I would like to get my hands on is a Vortech they are self contained I believe.Variable vane also which would help alot size wise.Seems they went out of business though.

claas900

#20 Post by claas900 »

Bumb I know this is old but whos got the $$ for this http://www.hiperturbo.com/atv.htm no oil line needed...