Custom stators

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
wistech

#1 Post by wistech »

Well it seems my calling in life really was to be a re engineer I mind as well keep it going. I will be attempting to rewire stators for different outputs. Also changing the magnets seems doable. A little research help would be helpfull. Would more windings on the stator or different size magnet wire be the way to go. I would like to make a stator with enough power to light 200 watts of lights.

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

You would need more windings for more output.

haydug

#3 Post by haydug »

I thought Happyboy had already worked something out with Ricky Stator to do this?

Happyboy

#4 Post by Happyboy »

Sure did....Ricky's said that our stator is already outputting the max it could. Only thing that would help would be more lams (laminations) and those would be expensive to make for the actual return you get. We didn't discuss changing magnets though. One option for yah would be to look at finding the flywheels cannondale had made up for the europeans. I heard it was a double wide and you put 2 stators underneath.

wistech

#5 Post by wistech »

Yes more laminations are doable. No need to make them though .Just use some from other stators. I think we could get 3 or 4 more under the flywheel and I already was able to wind about a foot more wire in the coil. It looks like these are not difficult to make but a lot of patience and time is needed for each one. The handy thing about making the flywheels is now there is more room under the flywheel because its not made with such thick aluminum pieces and the magnets can be offset. I heard of the double wide setups but would they be even worse than our crappy flywheels we have already. Plus didnt they need a special crank with a long snout on it?

Happyboy

#6 Post by Happyboy »

geez, just to restate what you just said....200 watts of lights. Thats over 100 more watts than what we are putting out right now.

Hey, do you have a setup to measure the wattage output of the stator as is? I think you would have to have that to know exactly what you are putting out. There is also a calculation for stator output based on the windings and lams etc....don't have a clue what it is though.

wistech

#7 Post by wistech »

Yes I can measure output.

Happyboy

#8 Post by Happyboy »

QUOTE (wistech @ Dec 15 2006, 05:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes I can measure output.

One of the perks to working at International? smile.gif

wistech

#9 Post by wistech »

Shoot ...... I got tools to make tools

You know theres darn near 65 feet of wire in these things. The hard part is mapping how to wire them. They are crossing over each other 3 times so you need 3 spools of wire and do each coil . Then change to the the next spool. And so on . Im using higher temp wire than the stock crap so the insulation wont melt all three wires together eventually. It turned out pretty good.

wanablaze

#10 Post by wanablaze »

smile.gif