3 days of riding Dale vs YFZ450...

haydug

#21 Post by haydug »

How about telling south bay on their new forum how much you like it, and thanking them for joining this site. I can't wait to get mine back, gonna go look for some new yzf's to SPANK!!

cannibalq8

#22 Post by cannibalq8 »

me too guys.i cant wait morefor my southbay450 kit to SMOKE THOSE YAMAHA SCRAPS. im in kuwait and i send it specially to southbaymoto.
jfarrar. what gearing u use?.

jfarrar

#23 Post by jfarrar »

i usually run a 14/40 but i am trying to save my swingarm buffers so that day i tried a 15/42 this is the first time i rode it with the sbm mods so i will be trying diffrent setups but felt really comfortable with the 15/42

cannibalq8

#24 Post by cannibalq8 »

15/42 that's what thinking. can u tell us how is ur bottom,midrange and ur top-speed?. is it pulls hard same as 13/42 with stock engine? im really concerned about it

Buddah77

#25 Post by Buddah77 »

I'm way impressed with my YZF450. My Speed ran strong and actually felt stronger then my Yamaha. When I raced my bro's Cannibal which has a Graydon pipe and beat him by roughly six quad lengths we were both very surprised. (My Speed had the same pipe and gearing as his Cannibal with a moto map). I then drag raced my buddies Banshee with coolheads and Toomey's and beat him as well. Yeah, we couldn't believe it either. Switching riders made no difference. You need to remove the pea shooter and airbox lid to let it breathe.
I'm not bragging up the Yamaha, cause it's not a major breakthrough in technology like a Dale. I'd still take the aluminum frame and fuel injection anyday. I had Houser long travel arms and TCS zero preloads on my Speed and it was an awesome ride. But, the stock shocks on the Yamaha are **** near as good or equal as far as I can feel. It may not have the travel, but what it does have, they perform great. I won't be replacing the shocks for quite sometime. It also feels very light, and you can flick it around good. Wish it was a little wider though.
I like everything about my Yamaha, but we'll see how it holds up over time. I still like the Dales though, and might own another someday. Just my 2 pennies.biggrin.gif

jfarrar

#26 Post by jfarrar »

cannibalq8 this was the first time i rode the quad with this motor other than breaking it in(wich i did very easily)and the track was really muddy but there were a couple of corners were i could hook up and it would pull the front end up coming out of the corners in 3rd gear were my stock engine would have definitely lugged.i dont think i ran my quad more than an hour with the 13/42 gearing and hardly remember what it was like but i did run 14/42 at times and with the 15/42 it is every bit as powerful on the bottem with the 15/42 and sbm motor.the track had some sweeprs and some hairpins and it pulled out of them all with no problem and down the straights as well.did you get the diffrent 4-5 gear gear change?this is a must for mx as well

jamiesel

Re: 450?

#27 Post by jamiesel »

Originally posted by ppogue
Nice, did they both have paddels? Just wondering if the race was with even tires. That makes a HUGE difference in the sand.

Yes yammie had 22 inch 8 paddle haulers

Dale had 20 inch 9 paddle extreems, very similar in hook up.

dawzie

#28 Post by dawzie »

motoman440 - Walsh is making everything for the YFZ. He took mine and is using that to build everything off of it. Is supposed to start on it this week.

danyeo

#29 Post by danyeo »

Hey Sandstorm, just saw all the videos on WyoDuners site. Real cool stuff. You and that Pred were dead even but when you raced Budda on the Z it looked like he took off early or you got a bad start, seems you made up a some ground but that Z looked pretty fast after getting the cams in.
And as for the YFZ. It looks like it's for real. I don't see any videos of your Dale against his YFZ on Choke Cherry but seems like he will pull you on it. I wonder if your Graydon Pipe is putting out the same power as the HMF or maybe a moto/speed map would be better for you? That was some nice air Budda got off the top of Choke Cherry..