engine rebuild......need a lota fast help

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
jake

#11 Post by jake »

unfortunately, even if i did get 200 for every hp that wast there, id still cost me an arm and leg to fix. lol. thanx for all the help.......another idea i kinda had in my head was putting and either ktm 550 engine or a newer 600 street bike engine in that would give me more power than ill ever get from this engine and it will be reliable. what would be the downside to that? i know id take some fab time, but i think either of those engines would fit nicely into the bike. i could also buy the for the same price id take to fix it. are there any big problems im overlooking? thanks again for the help.

wistech

#12 Post by wistech »

What exactly is the condition of your motor. Did you drive it to destruction or pull it out with low mileage for a low cost update. That will make a huge difference in price and reliabilty .
As far as cobbing in another motor I guess that would all depend on how good the guy is at doing the job. The only one Ive seen in person had a 250 2 stroke and a stoke dale would smoke it.
My personal opinion on being a dale owner is you had better learn how to become one with the quad and do all work by yourself or dont complain about cost and send everything out to someone who can do it for you. There is mounds of data on this web site on what to do to build these motors reliably and cheap by yourself if you have a decent grasp on all thing mechanical. You just need the motivation to do it. The search button can answer all questions because anything you ask will have been asked many many times before.

cannondale27

#13 Post by cannondale27 »

Thats very true.If you have the skills to do a conversion you have the skills to fix the motor that belongs in there.Always lot of help here for anyone that stops and asks.Pics help too.

A under $1000 50hp motor is still possible Ported everything from Timbo and a stock stroke balanced crank from Canniboomer or Blackwidow with Asso piston.All the little parts add up though but you would be close in hp and $.I havent ever seen 55hp without a stroker and that breaks the $1000 budget and you need to wait for crank.I also would not get a Falicon unless they have solved thier inconsistent workmanship.

joedirt

#14 Post by joedirt »

QUOTE (o3speed @ Jun 15 2007, 05:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
unfortunately, even if i did get 200 for every hp that wast there, id still cost me an arm and leg to fix. lol. thanx for all the help.......another idea i kinda had in my head was putting and either ktm 550 engine or a newer 600 street bike engine in that would give me more power than ill ever get from this engine and it will be reliable. what would be the downside to that? i know id take some fab time, but i think either of those engines would fit nicely into the bike. i could also buy the for the same price id take to fix it. are there any big problems im overlooking? thanks again for the help.

I have done many engine conversions for people back in the day. Now a days I don't see the point when you can pretty much buy anything you want. Never mind the resale value of a hybrid is crap. The reason to own a Cannondale is because it's a Cannondale. Just fix your engine it will be alot easier and cheaper.

thedeatons

#15 Post by thedeatons »

I believe my price quote is accurate, my good old days were a few months ago, and I know I got those three things done for under $1000. Piston, porting, and rebuild my crank. That was a CP and porting. Mine should be good for at least 53 after dyno, I just haven't had the time to take care of that lately. That with my throttle body mod and I was hoping for 54hp.... We'll see I guess....

wistech

#16 Post by wistech »

QUOTE (thedeatons @ Jun 16 2007, 01:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I believe my price quote is accurate, my good old days were a few months ago, and I know I got those three things done for under $1000. Piston, porting, and rebuild my crank. That was a CP and porting. Mine should be good for at least 53 after dyno, I just haven't had the time to take care of that lately. That with my throttle body mod and I was hoping for 54hp.... We'll see I guess....

Your an optamistic fellow. I quit assuming I will get certain hp numbers because the dyno has a way of crushing hopes . LOL
Id say you should be close to 50 and if your getting good at modding the maps right there after 20 or 30 runs the low 50's are possible. But im talking a dyno jet dyno .
There are about a dozen factors that will change the readings on the dyno. Temp,gas,exhaust,filters cleanliness,tire pressure,wheel bearings,how its tied down,the muffler packing,gearing,engine and tranny oils,ect. All these and more will affect how accurate and consistant the dyno works. Then there is the tuning. Even a bad throttle cal or screwy idle air control will ruin a dyno day. If you control all those factors then you can make decent educated guesses at the hp numbers .

thedeatons

#17 Post by thedeatons »

I agree with you, I am optimistic! Once I get numbers I will post them.... I don't know why this always turns into people bagging on numbers and stuff. If you call Tim and ask what his mods do, he says 53hp. No one questions that. I think that is a great baseline. Why is it when someone else throws down baseline numbers that were given to him by the engine builder then he gets a lot of flack... Come on guys, these are just guidelines.

Happyboy

#18 Post by Happyboy »

I think its because you usually say ~55hp. Rounding up is a no no. tongue.gif

jake

#19 Post by jake »

the reason i was thinking about a differant engine is because say, i used an intimidator 700 engine, i'd have over 80hp, a crapload more torqe than ill get out of my engine, and the engine will be stock and reliable. the engine isnt what makes the quad either. i personally like the cannondale beacause the awsome aluminum chassis, the ohlin suspension, and the great looks and handling. with that engine the weight will be about the same, and the size wont be far off either. my engine stopped with a boom and acted like it was seized. i had changed the oil regularly and it didnt have many hours on it. now it turns freely and i think would start with a new sparkplug. ive read on other forums about a bolt falling out in the bottom end and it sounds like the same situation, but now mine turns freely. thats the stumper. i also want to make sure that as soon as the engine is put back in, that because of one mistake wouldnt blow. i know i could rebuild it, but the time waiting for parts and the time putting everyting together would prevent me from riding all this season. i think i could get ahold of an engine and put it in within a few months. i, unlike some ppl, would not "coble" it together. id take the time to get the fab work right. id make it look stock. im not trying to act like i know it all and deny what everyone has said on here, but i think it would take more time and money to pu the original engine in, and it wouldnt have near as much power or reliability. am i wrong for thinking this? what other issues are there that im not seing? as far as resale, i plan on riding it for a long time. by the time im willing to sell it, and with the rumors about the engine, people in my tow wouldnt be willing to give 2 grand for it with the origial engine rebuilt. i know from experience because a friend of mine tried to sell his before he went into the service. im not stuck on having a differant engine. if i was, i wouldnt put it on the forumn, but im just asking if anyone knows what id actually lose going to this engine. like i said, im not trying to be a "know it all" because im sure you guys know more about it than i do.

jake

#20 Post by jake »

and like i said, the chance of something going wrong in the rebuild and blowing as soon as i start it scares me. the possibillity is always there.