engine rebuild......need a lota fast help

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
jake

#21 Post by jake »

QUOTE (o3speed @ Jun 17 2007, 10:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and like i said, the chance of something going wrong in the rebuild and blowing as soon as i start it scares me. the possibillity is always there.

there arent any quads on the market that are anywhere close to 80hp. even on nitrous.....let alone reliable.

jake

#22 Post by jake »

QUOTE (wistech @ Jun 15 2007, 06:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What exactly is the condition of your motor. Did you drive it to destruction or pull it out with low mileage for a low cost update. That will make a huge difference in price and reliabilty .
As far as cobbing in another motor I guess that would all depend on how good the guy is at doing the job. The only one Ive seen in person had a 250 2 stroke and a stoke dale would smoke it.
My personal opinion on being a dale owner is you had better learn how to become one with the quad and do all work by yourself or dont complain about cost and send everything out to someone who can do it for you. There is mounds of data on this web site on what to do to build these motors reliably and cheap by yourself if you have a decent grasp on all thing mechanical. You just need the motivation to do it. The search button can answer all questions because anything you ask will have been asked many many times before.

a 250 2 stroke engine isnt even in the same ballpark as a 500 or a 700 2 stroke. im guessing that with a 700 engine and a good rider, i could beat just about any cannondale with a cannondale engine no matter how much money was wrapped up in it. like i said, im not tryen to be rude and come of as concieted, but thats like comparing a van to a corvette; its just not even the same...

cannondale27

#23 Post by cannondale27 »

Dont get me wrong I really like a bigbore 2stroke but they are not as fast as you say.Most have trouble hooking up and then there is the huge hit to deal with keeping under control.They dont rev nearly as high as our motors and they also have that 2smoke smell.Do like the Pop,Pop of a big bore2st exhaust though.Anyway see the quad behind me?Thats a 500cr in a 250r chassis.No problem running that one down.[attachment=3946:Gravity_Oval.jpg]

Happyboy

#24 Post by Happyboy »

Where did you have metal shavings? In the engine oil filter (left side) or on the tranny filter (metal skinny filter back right side)? If it was in the engine oil filter and it did lock up at any point then sorry to say but it is your crank seizing. All that will running it again will achieve is puch metal past the oil filter and into the frame. That really sucks as cleaning the frame is a complete pain in the butt.

The conversions seem to have worked really well for a few people. If you choose to go that way good luck.

wistech

#25 Post by wistech »

QUOTE (thedeatons @ Jun 16 2007, 08:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree with you, I am optimistic! Once I get numbers I will post them.... I don't know why this always turns into people bagging on numbers and stuff. If you call Tim and ask what his mods do, he says 53hp. No one questions that. I think that is a great baseline. Why is it when someone else throws down baseline numbers that were given to him by the engine builder then he gets a lot of flack... Come on guys, these are just guidelines.

I think Tim meant 53 as a max potential not a baseline. A baseline would be where an engine like yours usually starts out as on the dyno which should be about 5-10hp less and with really good tuning is capable of 53 as an average of what his results have been with a similar setup. If you go on the dyno and expect a baseline run to be at 53 I think you are in for a world of disapointment. But as sometimes is the case you might have a good day where the loads of variables will be in your favor and break a record.
Its a major acomplishment to every single hp or fraction of a hp out of an engine and it is kind of annoying when someone says that they should be able to get a few extra hp like it will be easy as buying a loaf of bread.

jake

#26 Post by jake »

the shavings i found were in the engine oil filter. what does this change on the parts i need? i was planning on needing a crank and crank bearings, and i was going to get a differant cylinder and sleeve. what other parts would i need to rebuild the engine. or i should ask, what parts do you think i will need because i still havent tore the engine down and i never know what ill find. will i need to flush my frame out the way it is?

jake

#27 Post by jake »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Jun 18 2007, 07:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dont get me wrong I really like a bigbore 2stroke but they are not as fast as you say.Most have trouble hooking up and then there is the huge hit to deal with keeping under control.They dont rev nearly as high as our motors and they also have that 2smoke smell.Do like the Pop,Pop of a big bore2st exhaust though.Anyway see the quad behind me?Thats a 500cr in a 250r chassis.No problem running that one down.[attachment=3946:Gravity_Oval.jpg]

do you think the cr500 quad would beat you in the drags? i dont plan on doing motocross much if any. this will be for the dunes and where i live wich is about 200 acres of feild and hills.

Happyboy

#28 Post by Happyboy »

What parts you will need really depends on how quickly the bearing let go. I have seen a failed crank that was slow and it scratched the piston up but then a really fast failure like your seizure could have not had the time to send the metal all through the system and you could be in good shape. You just don't know until you break the parts down. You also may be looking at replacing the cams. sad.gif Lots of time motors with lots of hours that have a failure of this time are a complete rebuild. Cams, buckets, piston, crank, seals...the list goes on.

wistech

#29 Post by wistech »

QUOTE (o3speed @ Jun 18 2007, 09:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
do you think the cr500 quad would beat you in the drags? i dont plan on doing motocross much if any. this will be for the dunes and where i live wich is about 200 acres of feild and hills.

Tim could answer that he's races far bigger engines than a 500 2 stroke.

jake

#30 Post by jake »

QUOTE (Happyboy @ Jun 18 2007, 10:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What parts you will need really depends on how quickly the bearing let go. I have seen a failed crank that was slow and it scratched the piston up but then a really fast failure like your seizure could have not had the time to send the metal all through the system and you could be in good shape. You just don't know until you break the parts down. You also may be looking at replacing the cams. sad.gif Lots of time motors with lots of hours that have a failure of this time are a complete rebuild. Cams, buckets, piston, crank, seals...the list goes on.

this engine didnt have many hours on it actually. i mostly used it at the dunes and hadnt had a lot of time, so it probly has only 6 weekend dunes trips on it. and i drove my truck some of the time alsom, so maybe 75 hours tops on the 4wheeler. is that still enough to screw up my cams?