blowing fuse at start up

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
ciscorc

#1 Post by ciscorc »

I finally got rid of my YFZ and got another C-dale(03 cannible). I haven't had the chance ti investigate yet but when i hit the starter button it blows a fuse. I put another fuse in it and it starts right up. Another thing i noticed was when i turn the key the fuel pump doesn't come on until the motor starts turning. When i had my moto the fuel pump would kick on as soon as you turned the key so i found this a little odd. This is my second dale and i love them but i am still a little green on the repair side of things so i hope you guys can help.
thanks

kdeal

#2 Post by kdeal »

You are suppose to momentarily blip the start button before you start it to let the fuel system pressurize itself. If this does not start the fuel pump you have another problem.

ciscorc

#3 Post by ciscorc »

thanks for the help kdeal,but why is the fuse blowing? The kid i got it from just put a new battery in and the quad is supposed to have the wire harness update. Is it possible that the battery is to big? Ijust picked it up last night so i haven't had a chance to check anything out yet.
thanks for your help

Happyboy

#4 Post by Happyboy »

The battery can't be too big. As for the reason the pump started on the moto and not on this one when the key is turned on....its just a different wire harness revision.

The short means you have something grounding out somewhere. I would start by unhooking a couple of items and go from there. Disconnect the starter relay and see if it still shorts. If it does then you have to really start looking hard.

ciscorc

#5 Post by ciscorc »

QUOTE (Happyboy @ Jul 31 2007, 09:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The battery can't be too big. As for the reason the pump started on the moto and not on this one when the key is turned on....its just a different wire harness revision.

The short means you have something grounding out somewhere. I would start by unhooking a couple of items and go from there. Disconnect the starter relay and see if it still shorts. If it does then you have to really start looking hard.

i was just thinking,could i have a pinched wire on the starter button. My issue with the problem is why does it start up when i change the fuse instead of just blowing the fuse again.

ciscorc

#6 Post by ciscorc »

i started to check out the wiring last night but the only thing i found was a bad connection on the tether. I doubt that that is the problem but i cleaned up the connections and retaped. Unfortuneately i live in town and didn't want to start it at midnight last night because the neighbors tend to frown on that.

cdsracer

#7 Post by cdsracer »

What size fuse are you using?

ciscorc

#8 Post by ciscorc »

the one that blew was a 20 but i think it is supposed to be a 10 so that is what i put back in

speed 450mx

#9 Post by speed 450mx »

QUOTE (ciscorc @ Aug 1 2007, 01:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the one that blew was a 20 but i think it is supposed to be a 10 so that is what i put back in

it is supposed to be a 20 amp fuse

cannondale27

#10 Post by cannondale27 »

If it only blew one fuse its possible the fuse itself was just defective.All the bouncing around must weaken them.I had one pop for no reason a couple years ago and never since.Only explanation I could come up with.