blowing fuse at start up

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
ciscorc

#11 Post by ciscorc »

thanks for the help guys. What is the latest revision wiring harness?

ciscorc

#12 Post by ciscorc »

i think i found the problem.There was a loose wire on the start switch so i tightened it up and it has started numerous times without blowing the fuse.

kdeal

#13 Post by kdeal »

QUOTE (ciscorc @ Aug 2 2007, 08:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
thanks for the help guys. What is the latest revision wiring harness?

Rev 8 on the tag.

ciscorc

#14 Post by ciscorc »

just went out to start it and the fuse blew again. I got it running with another fuse took it out for a few minutes and shut it off. When i went to start it again the fuse blew again so now all further experiments are over until i get some more fuses. Could this be a wire harness problem? I unplugged the fuel pump and low and behold it still blows the fuse. All i want to do is go riding and this seems like such a stupid problem with a simple solution i am sure. When i get it started it runs awesome but i don't want to take it out unless i have a pack of fuses with me. The other concern i have is damaging the ecu if it shorts out when i am riding.
thanks

claas900

#15 Post by claas900 »

I had a bad rectifier that would keep blowing the fuse. At first I thought it was a bad stator for when I has the flywheel off one of the legs on the stator would get very hot with just the key on. But ended up tracing it down to the rectifier. Worked after that.

ciscorc

#16 Post by ciscorc »

thanks for the help. how did you check it?

claas900

#17 Post by claas900 »

Swapped it with a spare one i had wink.gif

claas900

#18 Post by claas900 »

QUOTE (claas900 @ Aug 4 2007, 02:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Swapped it with a spare one i had wink.gif

claas900

#19 Post by claas900 »

I think the manual has a way to test it?

ciscorc

#20 Post by ciscorc »

i just took it out today for the first real ride on the trails. A bout 20minutes from the house it just quit but as soon as i hit the starter it fired right up. After riding for about a 1/2 hr more it did it again except this time the fuse blew when i tryed to start it. I swapped out the fuse and it started right up again. At this point i figured i better get home because i only brought 3 fuses with me. On my way back it shut down on me 4 more times and blew the fuse once. I need to get this figured out because i am itching to get it on the track. I just printed the wire harness diagram so i guess it will be a long night with the multimeter and some beers.