Which Exhaust System would be the best?

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
UpsMan

#11 Post by UpsMan »

Oh yeah, the quiet core broke in the sport too. That was a simple re-weld, re-pack and back in business. That pipe wasn't designed to be corked up, so I understand when it burns up holding all that heat in. But the QRS is designed with that in mind, so it should be able to handle it.

UpsMan

#12 Post by UpsMan »

I almost forgot. Petes QRS has something rattling around on the inside too. I think it is the same thing as mine the first season. His has very little ride time on it. Maybe he can take a picture or two when he takes it apart.

Happyboy

#13 Post by Happyboy »

Wow, those are the first HMFs I heard went bad. But, as with any product there will be bad ones. Maybe it has to do with the quiet core. I have one but don't run it most of the time.

thedeatons

#14 Post by thedeatons »

I love my FMF, and you can't beat the weight of a full Ti system... The Universal Ti4 canister is a great replacement if you ever need one, and they sound great.... As far as I know the FMF Ti is still the pipe to beat on the dyno (although the difference is negligible and can't be felt 'seat-of-the-pants"), and they were designed five years ago (LOL)....

peterock

#15 Post by peterock »

The FMF TI pipes may perform well, but a lot of places now need to look at how loud they are as well. Before anyone buys an exhaust make sure you check to see if you have any db laws, to include if you take trips anywhere. Check to make sure you know what the laws are going to be next year as well.

The HMF QRS has been checked at several races Roger has gone to and comes in around the 99db mark. (which is actually still too loud for Wisconsin law of 96db).

Kind of almost sounds like a different kind of Dyno challenge needed. Who can find/develope the quietest best performing exhaust that comes in around 96db and lower. Has to be durable as well?

kdeal

#16 Post by kdeal »

QUOTE (peterock @ Aug 15 2007, 10:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The FMF TI pipes may perform well, but a lot of places now need to look at how loud they are as well. Before anyone buys an exhaust make sure you check to see if you have any db laws, to include if you take trips anywhere. Check to make sure you know what the laws are going to be next year as well.

The HMF QRS has been checked at several races Roger has gone to and comes in around the 99db mark. (which is actually still too loud for Wisconsin law of 96db).

Kind of almost sounds like a different kind of Dyno challenge needed. Who can find/develope the quietest best performing exhaust that comes in around 96db and lower. Has to be durable as well?

I agree with Pete on the challenge to find a good quiet durable pipe. Unlike Roger, I too have had several HMF cans and not one has ever had any problems. Most of the ones I have were previously owned by someone else, so they all have a lot of time on them, but none of them are running quiet cores. But, I do not race where the noise is a problem....yet. I think industry wide this is a problem that needs to be addressed. As the old adage is true (less sound = more ground to ride). I have heard stories of sound enforcement in the woods of Wisconsin, so we definitely feel your pain Roger. I think FMF has the best science on the noise problem. I would probably probably try to fit one of their "Q" mufflers to a good headpipe. This should help keep the noise down and still give half way decent performance.

peterock

#17 Post by peterock »

yes, the great woods of Wisconsin. Cost me $180 one year and that would be why I stick to the race tracks now.

thedeatons

#18 Post by thedeatons »

FMF has a quiet core, and Oregon Dunes rangers claim that puts them below the limit, they sound terrible however so I refuse.... If you see a ranger coming, well, you know what to do... smile.gif

cannondale27

#19 Post by cannondale27 »

In the dunes it would be easy to avoid them but when they hop out in middle of trail pointing at thier badge you gotta stop or run them over.I think for quiet exhaust we are either going to have to go with duals.Wistechs setup made 97db or make something huge like on the streetbikes.Was a guy at drags with a Ninja motor that had stock exhaust can on his quad.Was quietest exhaust you ever heard and still had a nice sound.

peterock

#20 Post by peterock »

Roger can chime in with a little more but I believe Jenny has been running a LeoVince exhaust on her honda 450 and that I believe tests around 93/94db.