new case price.

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
mxracer776

#1 Post by mxracer776 »

does anyone know how much a new engine case would cost? i'm going to need new crank and trans plates to. i think i'm going to start fresh and work my way from there. where to purchase also.

UpsMan

#2 Post by UpsMan »

Peterock could probably help you with this.

wistech

#3 Post by wistech »

My personal preferance for cases is the fx400 with the bolt going up through the bottom behind the flywheel housing. Second would be a undamaged SSM case (they say cannondale on the side ) .3rd would be a factory hydro conversion built just before the SSM cases. The cases I dont like are any that have the dull grayish paint on the inside . Probalbly because they were porous. Those seem to be the worst for cracking as well. Most of those were cable cases built sometime after the fx400's.
Of course we have found there are around 13 different versions of cases so its kind of hard to sift through them all.
Some have long stator mounts (bike) and require different seals in the flywheel side. Its best to use the crank that came with the case to avoid having to mod later but all cranks can be made to fit in all cases.
Just be sure to check whatever you buy very close for cracks . ASSUME nothing.
The standard price seems to be between $200 and $400 for a case but as in the Dale world prices vary wildly. Hydro clutches are nice to have but I dont put any priority on having them.
Things to look out for are engines that drop valves tend to break the case between the main bearing and countershaft bearing. And SSM cases get cracks in the head stud bosses. They are very hard to see but rubbing them with a scotchbright pad shows the cracks very well.

haydug

#4 Post by haydug »

Happyboy

#5 Post by Happyboy »

Try to get yourself a good used one. Otherwise Blackwidow has some used ones in stock as well as Canniboomer.

Happyboy

#6 Post by Happyboy »

QUOTE (haydug @ Aug 16 2007, 08:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There yah go...good deal.

peterock

#7 Post by peterock »

Do you have any parts laying around you plan on reusing or do you plan on doing a complete motor build from scratch?

mxracer776

#8 Post by mxracer776 »

my trans looks good.the crank i was going to have rebuilt.i was figuring on buying a new case and plates and putting it together piece by piece.from the ground up.

440efismokinu

#9 Post by 440efismokinu »

[attachment=4424:crack.jpg]
Ya i'm having the same problem

wistech

#10 Post by wistech »

QUOTE (440efismokinu @ Aug 17 2007, 12:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[attachment=4424:crack.jpg]
Ya i'm having the same problem

Im not so sure Id worry about that unless that coolant is coming from that crack or the crack extends down below the stud boss.. Is it your water pump weep hole that it leaking out of? Ive seen several SSM crack there and its on the outside of the water jacket.