Irridium plugs , Standard plugs, Silver plugs...whats better?

Canniboomer

#11 Post by Canniboomer »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Sep 23 2007, 04:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Work better than your stock coil for sure.Remember?

So is somebody keeping a secret?,....... please explain more. I never heard back on that.

At the time I came up wth the Nology setup, a few racers were having trouble with failing stock coils (Haydug postings). So, it's just another alternative. Since the remotely located coil will not burn up or corrode in the chimney, that has been a Plus if equal or or better performance could be achieved. I have always thought that the market for these would be very limited, as long as stock coils are available cheap (and they are).

But of about 20 Nology setups put into usage, I have yet to hear of a single failure, or the need for a replacement. We have a few setups running here, and for several years by now -- the machines start just fine, and run great. Does it work?, yes. But if anyone can elaborate on your own experience, please post it. I think no news, is good news so far. I'm sending another setup to Happyboy this week. I add some misc parts to the Nology items, to make the mounting to our machines work out. For stock machines, I let the original coil just run until it may fail, and then decide whether to replace with the Hotwire setup. I don't PUSH the Nology at all, but I will still defend it as very reliable.

And I won't apologize for offering Iridium Plugs for a mere $2.50 more than the stock plugs. The Iridiums work great also, but argueing among them is like comparing Mobil 1 to Amsoil -- it's just an opinion until "proven". I'll leave proof to the marketplace, and let other's do the dyno-ing.

The title of this thread is that Iridiums are worse?... worse than what?... worse than silver?
Worse than stock?, and by what proof of that? I would submit that actual USERS will claim they are better than stock, and with good reliable starting and "performance" and less fouling. And NGK makes both the stockers and the Iridiums, and have their own claims, and the same comparisons as pricey Denso's and others, etc. Again, it's just opinions,..... but to trash the Iridum's on here is quite misleading.

wistech

#12 Post by wistech »

Right said. If anyone wants to say a certain part is the cats meow then PROVE it or expect criticizm. I thought we learned this a long time ago. It just annoys me when fuzzy science and hearsay leads to parts sales.

Happyboy

#13 Post by Happyboy »

By no means am I trashing the Iridiums. I am just asking a question. I have never noticed a difference between any of the plugs. But, maybe I am doing something wrong. I just thought it was interesting to see the specs on the Silver out tehre.

And I am changing the title. smile.gif

Happyboy

#14 Post by Happyboy »

haha, i just went a reread what I posted first. Man, I look like I am selling the plugs huh? lol....thats what i get for doing a quick post when i should have gone to bed. I reworded it to what i actually meant.

cannondale27

#15 Post by cannondale27 »

QUOTE (wistech @ Sep 24 2007, 12:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Right said. If anyone wants to say a certain part is the cats meow then PROVE it or expect criticizm. I thought we learned this a long time ago. It just annoys me when fuzzy science and hearsay leads to parts sales.

I have all the proof I need as far as the coils.Seen to many stockers fail including yours right Wistech?LOL.Plus I can hook up and get perfect tach readings really easy.

JDelany the two hp advantage was actually from the switch to the CREK series like our stockers.The two electrodes compared to one makes a miniscule increase in compression.Spread over 4 cylinders its 2hp.I will make it my mission to find the actual dyno chart I saw posted by a few people.One of the places was that guys site that talks about proper breakin myths.So if the Irridium has 2or some even have 4 electrodes could be thats where the actul hp is coming from.Think about it electricity follows path of least resistance.Its impossible for it to jump both electrodes with any effect at once.Must be something else causing the power increase.

claas900

#16 Post by claas900 »

http://www.mototuneusa.com iv read a lot on his sight,and i hate it. Its such a pain to get around on his sight..

cannondale27

#17 Post by cannondale27 »

Yep thats it.He needs to get with the program regarding porting though.His theories apply mostly to carbs.

Psychosis

#18 Post by Psychosis »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Sep 24 2007, 02:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Think about it electricity follows path of least resistance.Its impossible for it to jump both electrodes with any effect at once.Must be something else causing the power increase.

That's what I was thinking. You could have 8 electrodes and it will still only jump one. About the only difference I've ever seen in research was the life of the plug and tendency to foul. But I haven't used anything other than stockers myself so can't say the difference.

J. Delaney

#19 Post by J. Delaney »

Steve, I wasn't talking about Motoman. Road Racing World did a technical article on one of the more successfull road racing teams at the time (M4 Emgo Suzuki I think). They listed all of the stuff that they used in the engine rihgt down to the plugs (ie. stock crank, ti rods, custom ground cams, my own brand of porting, ect.) The engine builder said that the iriduim plugs made a bit more hp than a standard spark plugs, but we all know that professional racers and engine builders NEVER lie or cheat. So, who knows.

cannondale27

#20 Post by cannondale27 »

Oh unless they explain how you gotta wonder.