Irridium plugs , Standard plugs, Silver plugs...whats better?

wayneschofield

#21 Post by wayneschofield »

I've never been able to measure any power difference between iridiums and stock-style plugs, be they single or twin electrode style....

There may be a slight difference in required voltage to initiate the spark due to the tiny electrode diameter of an iridium. If your ignition system output it marginal this COULD lead to an increase in power as a result. However, if your system is good then it is unlikely.

Iridiums DO struggle to clean themselves once fouled for some reason. I have seen this many times.

I will be testing available plugs when it comes to the 'dyno marathon' with mine but I doubt I will find a plug to work any better than stock.

cannondale27

#22 Post by cannondale27 »

In researching this everyone agreed with the switch there was a power increase in thier motors however after a few years the guys that did these dyno tests have come to the conclusion that it was a plug heat range that mattered the most.The first guy who showed chart had gone from cr9es which is stock in R1 motor to cr10ek just because that was all he had and everyone copied him with same positive results.Reading about plug heat ranges and thier effect it is a fact that lowest heatrange plug that will run the motor will produce the most hp.

J. Delaney

#23 Post by J. Delaney »

Can you post up some links?

thedeatons

#24 Post by thedeatons »

Cdsracer's Cannibal originally came witha CR10, but then he eventually changed to a 9... Now we are mostly running 8s, due to the ported heads fouling the 9s a lot.

Beru's Silverstone plugs make a very scientific point, silver does flow electrons better. I'm with Wayne though on his theory above. If everything is new-like and working great then doubtful you will see any difference. Even .5hp could be a dyno glitch or temperature/humidity change by the time you swap the plug (unless dyno'ing with a remote fuel reservoir like Motion Pro's aux tank). That would make swapping things quicker.