Nitrous engines

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
wistech

#1 Post by wistech »

Since the destruction of the 470 engine a few changes are being made. A new tool steel wrist pin should eliminate the cleaving that occured in the 97mm wiseco piston. Since 70hp was made with the engine starting out with a dismal 52hp without the juice a new 97mm wiseco piston donated from Kdeal has been modded for the stroker crank to as much as possible . Hopefully nearing 15 to 1. Ignition timing will also be reduced a recomended 5 degree's . I hope to be as close to 60 as possible so not as much nitrous is needed . I will have enough jets to get a 30hp shot if required to reach 80.
Here is a pic of the original piston compared to the new high dome wiseco. I think the extra metal in the piston will also make it stronger. I think we should have a raffle to see who can guess how long it will take this reactor to go critical. Its anybodies quess since the last engine could have had a good long life were it not for the wrist pin. But the power levels will be even higher so that might just bring us back to square one.

wistech

#2 Post by wistech »

Here is the stroker wiseco compared to a mutant stock crank high compresion CP 98mm piston. You can see how the Tim did everything possible to squish the combustion chamber smaller than ever. Also note how small and short the skirts are on the wiseco as opposed to the CP .No wonder they rocked so much. Cannondale quit using them and switch to the ASSO piston.

wistech

#3 Post by wistech »

If anyone has any experience with nitrous and could provide some more tips please throw in your info . I will be using 110 race gas instead of U4 . Im not so sure on valve timing . Should a colder or hotter plug than a 8 be used with nitrous?

wayneschofield

#4 Post by wayneschofield »

I'd be tempted to run a colder plug, yes, preferably a 'surface discharge' type so there's no earth electrode to fall off.

I would certainly use a piston with a thicker ring-land below the top ring. I know there isn't a heap of room to move the oil control down but that land just doesn't look deep enough to me. You also need to be careful that the top ring groove and the bottom of the valve cut-outs aren't too close to each other or you'll break a 'segment' of piston off around the edge of the valve pocket.

I would take the fuel for the nitrous from the return line too, but fit a low pressure reg after the take off, set at, say at 5psi.... The reason for doing this is that the fuel jets are very small for lower power outputs when using high fuel pressure and very prone to getting blockages. This leads to certain engine failure....

Avoid bringing the gas in at low rpms, the cylinder pressures will likely bend the rod.

Use a good coil too, misfires are generally very bad news......

peterock

#5 Post by peterock »

You should probably get that piston coated. Get the top coating and also the skirt coating.

http://www.swaintech.com/store.asp?pid=10963

cannondale27

#6 Post by cannondale27 »

And quit calling those pistons CP's! They are Wade Wilcox design that CP and Timbo never endorsed.Nothing like a real CP.I think there is way more space between ribs wristpin goes through also so less support.I will take pics from behind the window!

cannondale27

#7 Post by cannondale27 »

QUOTE (Wayne Schofield @ Nov 5 2007, 07:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd be tempted to run a colder plug, yes, preferably a 'surface discharge' type so there's no earth electrode to fall off.

I would certainly use a piston with a thicker ring-land below the top ring. I know there isn't a heap of room to move the oil control down but that land just doesn't look deep enough to me. You also need to be careful that the top ring groove and the bottom of the valve cut-outs aren't too close to each other or you'll break a 'segment' of piston off around the edge of the valve pocket.

I would take the fuel for the nitrous from the return line too, but fit a low pressure reg after the take off, set at, say at 5psi.... The reason for doing this is that the fuel jets are very small for lower power outputs when using high fuel pressure and very prone to getting blockages. This leads to certain engine failure....

Avoid bringing the gas in at low rpms, the cylinder pressures will likely bend the rod.

What about the rev limiter?That thing accelerates so fast its almost impossible not to hit it.

wistech

#8 Post by wistech »

QUOTE (Wayne Schofield @ Nov 5 2007, 07:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is a little more material on the 97mm pistons so thinning out by the valve pockets isnt as much an issue as it was on the stock pistons. I am running a separate fuel pump with an internal regulator for the nitrous at I believe 6psi. The jets are very small.

J. Delaney

#9 Post by J. Delaney »

Instead of using an extra injector, fuel pump, and regulator, why wouldn't you just write more fuel into the map? Adjust the map so that it's 10%-15% richer @ 90% to WOT from 7000 RPM up to rev limit. Useing Dave's fuel line and Harley inujectors should flow enough fuel for nitrous and would simplify things a bit.

wayneschofield

#10 Post by wayneschofield »

QUOTE (J. Delaney @ Nov 6 2007, 05:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Instead of using an extra injector, fuel pump, and regulator, why wouldn't you just write more fuel into the map? Adjust the map so that it's 10%-15% richer @ 90% to WOT from 7000 RPM up to rev limit. Useing Dave's fuel line and Harley inujectors should flow enough fuel for nitrous and would simplify things a bit.

Not a bad idea, better yet, use the map switch function to go to a rich map set when the gas is flowing..... no jets to clog at all then......

Dropping the pressure with a second reg does work a treat tho and is bound to be more reliable than a second pump.....