Are all yfz's this way?

toothandnail

#1 Post by toothandnail »

Just traded for an 05 yfz, alot of motor mods but all stock arms and shocks, compared to our dales this is like going back to riding a banshee, it turns like crap. I've looked it over and can't find anything wrong ,it hasen't been ridden much at all still has stock tires about 90% tread left. Are they all this way? I've only ridden them at the dunes before so this was unexpected.Does the after mkt stuff help in the handling dept?

ppogue

#2 Post by ppogue »

Yep, they handle like crap. That is why I race a Cdale and use my YFZ for a backup/dune quad. Put some LT A-arms and nice suspension helps a ton though.....

cannondale27

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

I would say the steering is very similar to the old FX 400's very twitchy and really kinda scary at higher speeds.Dampner helps alot and like said a-arms that change camber.Other than the steering being twitchy I thought YFZ handled great for stock width.But it was more because it was small,low and I could toss it around easier than my Dale.

wayneschofield

#4 Post by wayneschofield »

I find my son's very soft. That's fine for slow stuff and rides better than the 'Dales do at slow speed but when you get some speed up and the 'Dale gets 'into its stride', chassis-wise, the YFZ is a wallowy pig.

Once the tyres lose their 'edges' they don't work well either, not on the OE tyres anyway....

It doesn't have nearly the grunt either, which does help to stop the front pushing on coming out of tighter corners, but after that the Yam eats dust.

**** thing kills batteries on an annoyingly regular basis too, stator is pants I think.

wayneschofield

#5 Post by wayneschofield »

****? I didn't even swear, not properly, I could have said ##**%%????????????!!!

cannondale27

#6 Post by cannondale27 »

Wayne 04,05 YFZ had a issue with charging circuit. Need to run the headlights or they offer a resistor addon.

wayneschofield

#7 Post by wayneschofield »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Nov 8 2007, 01:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wayne 04,05 YFZ had a issue with charging circuit. Need to run the headlights or they offer a resistor addon.

He does that and it's still pants! We did notice early on that the output was higher with the lights on, but it's still very low, 13.3v or something.

We had it on the dyno doing some pulls trying different exhaust and jet combos. It had just had a brand new battery (a bigger one same as the Dale) and it managed about 10 startups. After that the battery was dead and never recovered. It seems that as soon as the battery gets below a certain level the system just won't charge it up.

Who knows......

I feel a family of four 'Dales is on the cards ..... The girls all have 250 Sportrax now (got rid of the horse, thank goodness) and they are great but non-too exciting....

Blasterboy11

#8 Post by Blasterboy11 »

That 250 is an air compressor, lol. The YFX has had lots of issues over its days, but in 09, things will change. I heard that by then, EVERY company is going to have a racer like dale did 5 years ago, twinspar, EFI, etc etc... My friends YFZ got lit up from electrical issues, the wrench shorted the battery out. Yamaha actually gives you the tools seperatly and says not to put them in the quad. He didnt listen, his is an 07 though, most of the bugs are fixed, but theyre finding new crap every year, but this soon will change when yammi and honda switch chassis...Well see, until then, im stickin with my moto.

acarli3

#9 Post by acarli3 »

My wife found this to be true on her YFZ as well. However, once she went with +2 arms, TCS suspension and a steering dampner, it rode very well. Expensive stuff just to solve twitchy steering though.

Blasterboy11

#10 Post by Blasterboy11 »

Thats the problem with quds like that, it takes 1800 bucks to fix a simple geometry problem.