Going on a diet

timbomoose

#1 Post by timbomoose »

Going on a diet. Sorry not me though could use to be on one but the quad. Building up the drag quad and trying to see how light I can get the quad without buying any aftermarket parts except for maybe shocks. Got started on the frame, craddle and other bolt on parts. My son drilled out the steering stem and did a very nice job. We will be working on it during his Christmas break and hopefully have it all wrapped up. Waiting on the frame is a 495 high compression motor which last time dynoed at over 63hp. Hoping to break 65hp with the next changes and drop the weight down significantly and have a serious drag race contender. Here's a few pics.

ozarkdaler

#2 Post by ozarkdaler »

Nice!

That stem would awesome chromed.

claas900

#3 Post by claas900 »

How about aluminum lug nuts? I made a few of theses but never finished them.

timbomoose

#4 Post by timbomoose »

Great idea. Kdeal was going to use aluminum bolts for the side cover on the motor. He also came out with a nice ti bolt for the break calliper for a dirt cheap price. Will have to do both. Lots and lots of stuff to lighten. Animalscanibal has also lightening his quad and took off 11 pounds with just the frame, subframe, and engine cradle. Between everyone's ideas on here we'll be shedding some serious weight. All in all at this time speed1b, I would have to say, has the lightest best setup drag racing Dale out there and could run with the fastest quads in the nation in his class. His best time on the 500ft dirt drags was 5.9 sec in 500ft and set a 4 stroke track record in W Virginia and also won state races in PA and W Virginia. He's got a darn good setup quad and he is a darn good rider. He put alot of time and effort into it and it shows. It's one the sharpest quads I've seen and he plans to do more over the winter. As for me I have a ton of drilling and machining to do and hopefully it will pay off. Drag racing is a fun sport and a Dale can be as fast or faster than anything 4 stroke out there.

J. Delaney

#5 Post by J. Delaney »

Replace as much parts with titanium as you can possibly afford. Do you know how to work with the stuff?

timbomoose

#6 Post by timbomoose »

Would love to but don't have that kind of cash. Can do the machining but even raw ti is expensive. Most of the diet will be from drilled holes, shortened bolts, drilled bolts etc. Gotta hit that lottery.

cannondale27

#7 Post by cannondale27 »

Holey cow! You got me beat Tim. Gotta get that frame out again for more drilling I see. Nice job TJ also I for sure would have missed center on at least one of those stem holes. Looks perfect.

mydreamride

#8 Post by mydreamride »

Tim give me a call so we can discuss a possible set of my arms for you so you don't have to use those heavy moto arms

claas900

#9 Post by claas900 »

I was going to use some aluminum bolts also, but I was told if you screw aluminum into something else aluminum you'll never get it out. I really didn't know much about it so I left it be.

Psychosis

#10 Post by Psychosis »

Just use antiseize. Ever tried to take the subframe bolts out of the frame after it's been sitting for a few years. Nearly impossible w/out stripping or breaking the bolt. Put some antiseize in there and it'll fix that. I used to have some aluminum bolts on a Honda and worked just fine.