stainless bolt kits?

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
wayneschofield

#11 Post by wayneschofield »

QUOTE (Canniboomer @ Jan 13 2008, 08:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would also warn that the market is too-crazy about Ti fasteners by now, and most customers will just ASSUME they are stronger. Indeed, the Titanium is stonger "pound for pound" compared to most steels, but in a "bolt for bolt" comparison, they are usually much weaker. For any applications where high strength is an issue, the required grade of Titanium is still hard to find, and at even-more insane (aerospace) prices. Most Ti bolts to the motorsports industry by now are the equivalent of a grade 2 for strength. Even Ti bolts that are equivalent grade 5(metric 8.8) are less common, and still not suitable to replace the Cannondale or Japanese suspension bolts. It just pays to beware, and know what you are buying.

Agreed, and an open crystal stucture cannot be seen by analysis, so even if you get the material analysed you can't tell how strong it's going to be.

You could test a bolt for strength but you do get a lot of 'scatter in strength', like you do with ceramics, with variable crystal structure.

Buy specced material only from a recognised and certified source (ebay doesn't count...)

Fortunately I have a friend who used to work for Rolls-Royce aero engines and he does consultancy work now. He knows what's best to use, where to buy it and how best to work with it.

Even good Ti isn't as strong ultimately, as good steel, especially not in shear.

I had thought about starting with a drilled piece which is too thick and heating it to 900c so the Ti goes superplastic and then rolling it in the areas where the pivot is in shear. The OD would need turning down as normal to bring it to size. That way the pin will be hollow for light weight but thicker walled in the crytical areas for greater shear strength.

peterock

#12 Post by peterock »

swing-arm bolts are a go. Didn't get a set price but they can do one-off runs but they are pricey. Looking at the neighborhood of $150

Speed 1B

#13 Post by Speed 1B »

Woah. How many do we need to buy to get a better price?

cannondale27

#14 Post by cannondale27 »

Never got to check on it but I swear a CRF450 bolt will work from dirtbike.I believe they are Ti already?

Speed 1B

#15 Post by Speed 1B »

They will?? They are?? Nice!

peterock

#16 Post by peterock »

I checked with two honda shops and they both said they aren't TI. I also called Mettec http://www.mettec.com/default.htm (Most of the supercross bikes run their stuff). Mettec gets $270 for the 450r swingarm bolt. They do have some cool stuff on their site though. Looks like the TI swingarm bolt saves you about 1/4lbs.

peterock

#17 Post by peterock »

QUOTE (Speed 1B @ Jan 14 2008, 05:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Woah. How many do we need to buy to get a better price?

I didn't ask about a volume discount just for the fact that even if they were $100 I can't see to many people buying them.

Speed 1B

#18 Post by Speed 1B »

Yeah thats really steep. Too bad the oem honda ones arent ti....that would be a good deal probably and easily available.

cannondale27

#19 Post by cannondale27 »

You asked about the bike?We have to get Iceracer in on this.I swear it was Ti or just as light.I believe it was made of tubing which was rolled to proper dimensions.

UpsMan

#20 Post by UpsMan »

QUOTE (peterock @ Jan 14 2008, 06:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I checked with two honda shops and they both said they aren't TI. I also called Mettec http://www.mettec.com/default.htm (Most of the supercross bikes run their stuff). Mettec gets $270 for the 450r swingarm bolt. They do have some cool stuff on their site though. Looks like the TI swingarm bolt saves you about 1/4lbs.

1/4 pound? ???????????? Why bother? Did I read that right?