coolant in oil

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
ciscorc

#1 Post by ciscorc »

I have been having problems getting my quad to run right and i just got a D&M. I loaded the latest HEX code and a new map with all of my original settings, and it started right up but idled rough. After a lot of messing around i realized the battery voltage was jumping all over the place. I unplugged the voltage regulator and it cleared right up so i shut it down to check the fluids. I noticed the coolant was a tad low so i topped it off and checked the oil and that looked good. I swapped out the voltage regulator and started it up and it was idling all over ranging from 2500-3800. It was also smoking pretty good and the coolant reservoir is now filled up an inch higher than it was when i checked it. According to the D&M the motor was running at 131 degrees so i figured it wasn't boiling over. I pulled the dipstick and it was milky so i assume coolant is getting into the oil (perhaps a cracked sleeve). My initial question is, how is coolant getting in the oil but the coolant level went up? Could it have a bad head gasket causing the coolant to get in the oil and also causing the erratic idle?

thanks

wistech

#2 Post by wistech »

Head seals dont fail. Sleeves crack or valve covers corrode through.

kdeal

#3 Post by kdeal »

Ray,

You do have an aluminum valve cover on it.......RIGHT! If not, get one. If you do, I'll bet tri-p is right and the sleeve is cracked...Drain the engine oil and refill it with some regular oil in it to keep anything from rusting for the moment. Call me when you get a chance this weekend.

ciscorc

#4 Post by ciscorc »

i have the alluminum valve cover and i run engine ice. Ken, i will give you a call tomorrow after my son's game.

Thanks for the help guys

wayneschofield

#5 Post by wayneschofield »

QUOTE (ciscorc @ Feb 3 2008, 03:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i have the alluminum valve cover and i run engine ice. Ken, i will give you a call tomorrow after my son's game.

Thanks for the help guys

Split liner puts cylinder pressure into the water, which will 'squeeze' the space above the water in the bottle. This will make the water level look high, even if some did get into the crankcase. Chances are the bleed pipe off the top of the water pump with be clogged and you motor will have big gas bubbles in the head.

timbomoose

#6 Post by timbomoose »

Is it the new aluminum valve cover or old one.If it is the older one there is not a grove for the cam/coolant o-ring which can cuase it to distort or leak.A pinced valve cover gasket could also cause this or pincked head seal.As Wayne said id presure is building up head sleeve related if not more than likely vlve cover related.Do not run and tear down.Coolant will kill a motor FAST.May even want to flush frame rails to remove any coolant in the frame.

ciscorc

#7 Post by ciscorc »

Tim

I think the cover is the new style but i am not positive. I have the motor out of it to check it out.