Caniboomer filter setup..

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
UpsMan

#11 Post by UpsMan »

No Toil is easier than cleaning a K&N? I might have to give that a try. I have had great luck with K & N, but I change them REALLY often. I really hate cleaning Uni filters because the oil is so **** sticky and gets all over me usaully.

thedeatons

#12 Post by thedeatons »

I get less than 1/4 cup of No Toil detergent, pour it into the bottom of a small bucket, then fill the bucket with hot water. Stir it up, then drop the filter in, clamp and all. I come back in about ten minutes, remove the filter, rub the leftover dirt particles out (about 20 seconds), then sit it in the sun (or in the dryer on a drying rack). After it dries I oil it up using the process above. The latex gloves are always mandatory, as No Toil's oil is super sticky too!

cannondale27

#13 Post by cannondale27 »

QUOTE (MyCannibal @ Apr 7 2008, 06:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If thats the case maybe I'll hold off on using the No-Toil cleaner until someone comes forward saying otherwise...what cleaner would u suggest Dave?...27 have you had any problems with the No-Toil cleaner on the Uni?...

I dont have a Uni.I use CurtisSparks filters.Not sure who makes it but always meant to find the No-Toil equivalent.No never had glue fail.Did with the PJ1 spaycan cleaner/oil though.Not oiling inside of filter is a bad idea.But probably not necessary if your sure no dirt is embedded in the filter.

thedeatons

#14 Post by thedeatons »

So, once again, the manufacturer of the filter told me that oiling inside was not needed. I have proven their statement correct. Oil wherever you want I suppose.....

This seems to be an unneccessary disagreement don't ya think?

Nickc711

#15 Post by Nickc711 »

I was thinking we should have a reviews section on this fourm...not only sponsor stuff but aftermarkey stuff too??

Sorry for being off topic...

cannondale27

#16 Post by cannondale27 »

QUOTE (thedeatons @ Apr 8 2008, 07:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So, once again, the manufacturer of the filter told me that oiling inside was not needed. I have proven their statement correct. Oil wherever you want I suppose.....

This seems to be an unneccessary disagreement don't ya think?

Well if you want to make it one.Lets get this straight.

You talked to some women on the phone who may or may not have ever even seen a dirty filter.Think she saw a open filter setup on a Cannondale?

Do you think she knows exactly what kind of conditions everyone rides in?I know Dunbar dust is ALOT different than sand.

Does this woman know for a fact that dirt that is embedded in filter isnt going to work its way through.

Finally Why not for extra protection?

MyCannibal

#17 Post by MyCannibal »

I completely agree with you 27...why not do it?...just soak the whole **** filter and wring it out...simple as that...its not like the oil is gonna go into the intake...

fortlevi

#18 Post by fortlevi »

where did you guys find k&n filter cover? i cant find one anywhere.

UpsMan

#19 Post by UpsMan »

K and N sells them.

thedeatons

#20 Post by thedeatons »

You guys have obviously never called No Toil. Lura is an AUTHORITY on these filters. She has worked there for years, and knows all the part numbers without even looking them up. She works very closely with the owner of the company, and the engineers, both of which work right down the hall from her. She is middle aged, not some high school kid with an Ipod playing while she talks to me and grooms her nails.... I am telling you what I know from experience, two years in the sand dunes. There is no environment tougher on a filter than fine sand. The technique I told you about was recommended by the engineers at No Toil after extensive testing, including the comment about not needing an Outerwear.

On a seperate note, I have been coming here for a while, and have become friends with quite a few folks who have done great things with the Dales, and the guys who just like to ride hard. I am amazed that everytime I make a recommendation lately it turns into an arguement. Have none of you noticed this pattern? I don't have this happen on Daler, only Riders.

I am by no means stupid. I have good common sense and a high IQ. I don't say this to brag, but simply to mean that I am not ignorant. I do not know everything, nor do I claim to, but I am smart enough to test things before I say they are great and give them my personal recommendation. My PERSONAL recommendation. This means this information that I am giving everyone to use is rather personal. Tested information. Good, working information. So, when some of the people on this forum proceed to call my information lacking and/or useless, and attempt to blemish my credibility on this forum by calling me wrong all the time, it really gets to me. THIS IS WHY PEOPLE ARE LEAVING/ANDOR NEVER POST HERE FOLKS!.

If you want to lose me as a friend, as someone who can provide advise to those who have questions, then please keep pushing me. Otherwise LAY OFF. Once again my information is tested and proven!

I firmly believe there is more than one way to do things. I agree that one person's overkill might be another person's minimum. The recommendation I gave was after overoiling the filter for a couple months, then calling No Toil and getting THEIR recommendation. I slowly began holding back on the oil before desert trips to see what was a minimum amount of acceptable oil. The way of oiling that I mentioned above turned out to be perfect, not too much, and not too little. No Toil was right. Lura at No Toil was right.

I figured you guys would understand this, simply because you are all horsepower freaks. More oil than needed on a filter equals more restriction, equalling less air flow. Theoretically you can soak it in oil, put two Outerwears over it, then encase it in a box with small pinholes for inlets, and it will work. Is it overkill, who knows. Do whatever you want. I am just trying to help, once again, and am being shot at and hit by friendly fire. Now I see why my good friends rarely post. They know what works, but just don't want to deal with the naysayers.