Royal Purple oil

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
cannondale27

#11 Post by cannondale27 »

The problem with the newer ratings is they are improved for fuel economy and emissions.Not our priority.The SG rating means there is extra Zinc in there which helps prevent cam wear.It was removed to save catalytic converters in vehicles.

Dachshund

#12 Post by Dachshund »

Since the subject has come up about using SG rated oil, I think we are assuming some things which may not be true.

1. I'm not even going to address the issue of friction modifiers and wet clutch compatibility for obvious reasons.

2. SJ was the first of the reduced zinc/phosporus and added friction modifiers, followed by SL and the now current SM.

3. According to the API, each category exceeds the performance properties of all previous categories and can be used in place of the lower one. For example, an SM oil can be used for any previous category.

4. It is completely true that the SJ and latter oils were developed as energy conserving and to keep catalytic converters happy but they replace and meet or exceed the protection levels of the SG oils even though zinc has been reduced by 1/3.

5. And this is the big one. If your buying oil that says it is SG approved does not mean it is the old SG standard and zinc formulation. It just means it meets the API performance standards for SG. Because all latter ratings meet previous ratings it may or may not be the original SG formulation.

6. So why would someone sell an SJ, SL or SM oil and label it as an SG motorcycle/ATV oil? To sell it to all the people with wet clutch power sport vehicles who's owner manual calls for it.

7. When Cannondale was in production the SL and SM categories were not even out and the SJ was fairly new.

8. In conclusion, it appears to be quite simple for us because we have separate crank case and trans. SG oil or latter with SM being the best choice. I think the SG vs. the newer oil argument should be left to the wet clutch systems.

I am not trying to prove anybody wrong or even that I am right. I think this is a subject that is not understood very well and needs some clarification. I have only scratched the surface here.

Most people just use whatever they perceive to be the best product based on promoters/ads and friends and do very little research.

Disclaimer: I am in no way an expert and am subject to being wrong at any given time. These are just the conclusions I have come to from my limited research.

If some of you like this boring stuff as I do then here is some good reading that puts things in layman's terms with much more good info. http://www.wingworldmag.com/archives/novem...lStandards.html

UpsMan

#13 Post by UpsMan »

Just go to amsoil.com and become a preferred customer and order the 4 stroke powersport oil....good to go. Time is precious.

ciscorc

#14 Post by ciscorc »

i prefer redline but have been using amsoil because it is easy for me to get. All of my local Napa and carquest stores carry Amsoil on the shelf

UpsMan

#15 Post by UpsMan »

It is really odd how people decide which brand of oil they prefer. For me, I have used just about every kind of oil there is, they all seem to work fine. I use amsoil because it is supposed to be very good, and I have not had any problems with it, and I like the extra protection you are supposed to get due to it being synthetic. How would your average Joe know if his particular brand of oil wasn't as good as the next brand? He wouldn't.

ciscorc

#16 Post by ciscorc »

i agree. The only reason i say that i prefer redline is because when i disassemble my motor the redline is still stuck all over.

thedeatons

#17 Post by thedeatons »

That's the Shockproof at work... Terrible to clean up, but awesome that it stays coated...

QD Spray works perfectly for cleaning up by the way (Quick Dry Spray)...

Dachshund

#18 Post by Dachshund »

I probably would be using Amsoil in everything now if it were not for the fact that when I started using Royal Purple I could get it at Flying J Truck stops for less than Rotela T syn at Wally World, all across the US. They now no longer carry it and except for the normal automotive oils, it is hard to find and i have resorted to online for all the different oils i use.

UpsMan

#19 Post by UpsMan »

Yes, the internet is a wonderful thing.

thedeatons

#20 Post by thedeatons »

So, just to clarify, are you saying the Rotella T/Mobil 1 oils are okay because they are SG, or not okay because our group has seen a few cases of excessive cam wear?

By the way, Timbo is hardness checking camshafts, and is actually finding cams that are soft (on a Rockwell C scale).... Except for Megacycles and the occasional Italian cam. I am of the opinion that is why we have seen failures, although some of the vendors with cam inventory refuse to admit there may be a problem.....