Woods Racing, need to refuel?

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
UpsMan

#11 Post by UpsMan »

I'm planning on not pitting unless something goes wrong. I should be able to go an hour and a half without a break. I just have to pace myself. I'll probably leave a trail of nuts and bolts along the way, but they can be replaced.

wistech

#12 Post by wistech »

The shortest amount of time a full tank of fuel has lasted is one hour and that is pretty much at 100% WOT. For woods racing I would say 2 hours should be no problem unless they are high speed state legal trails like WI has. I remember fuel did last forever in the dunes as the engine is near idle the vast majority of the time.

jesshamner

#13 Post by jesshamner »

thedeatons, you carry extra fuel in a camelbak during a race? That is against some series' rules. Do you ever forget it's gas and take a drink? LOL.

When I go to races that are 1.5 hours, I don't think twice about it. There is no need to stop for fuel unless you get stuck in a mud pit for a long time and you use up a lot of fuel to get out.

thedeatons

#14 Post by thedeatons »

#1 - If yer dune rides have been near idle I feel really sorry for ya Wistech! Our dunes rides are at 6k-9k RPM for 3 hours straight all weekend. At least three rides per day like that. A few weekends ago at St. Anthony's I was nearly WOT in my supermoto 5th for each time. At Sand Mt. I am WOT in 3rd and 4th each ride. We play follow the leader, and our leader is usually a fireman who works out daily, all day, at the firehouse. Needless to say he wears us out. Each ride is like a race chasing him. It rocks!

#2 - I mentioned the Camelback for water! LOL That way you don't have to pit for water, you can just slow down for a relaxation. Saves ya time. Just a thought.

wistech

#15 Post by wistech »

Deatons your full of it. You say your literally at 100percent going up AND down dunes? I tell you what go to the top of choke cherry or Sand mountain ,tape your throttle down,and see what happens when you get in fifth on the way down tapped out. I doubt you will make the turn to go back up. At the most even if your pushing it you can only be a WOT going up/down the dunes 50% of the time. Ive riden with Sandstorm and Budda , those guys are insane and we never even got close to using sustained engine use that can consume fuel at a rate that flat land use allows. One tank in an hour at 57hp .That was done on lake ice with enormous room to stay at full throttle . Even high speed trail riding you have to let off for the corners. Dunes arent even close unless you drive in circles in a bowl without getting dizzy. If you want to continue this stupid argument then get your tape and a video camara and prove it.

peterock

#16 Post by peterock »

The most fuel I went through was on a stock motor during the winter on ice. The rest in the group were 4x4's with chains and I had my mx non studded tires on. I probably 3/4 throttle for 12 miles straight. I would let up and cost once in a while, but that took me through almost a full tank. On the way back I controlled my throttle and wheel spin better as able to go twice the distance on half the gas.

jesshamner

#17 Post by jesshamner »

QUOTE (Wistech @ Jul 13 2008, 12:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Deatons your full of it. You say your literally at 100percent going up AND down dunes? I tell you what go to the top of choke cherry or Sand mountain ,tape your throttle down,and see what happens when you get in fifth on the way down tapped out. I doubt you will make the turn to go back up. At the most even if your pushing it you can only be a WOT going up/down the dunes 50% of the time. Ive riden with Sandstorm and Budda , those guys are insane and we never even got close to using sustained engine use that can consume fuel at a rate that flat land use allows. One tank in an hour at 57hp .That was done on lake ice with enormous room to stay at full throttle . Even high speed trail riding you have to let off for the corners. Dunes arent even close unless you drive in circles in a bowl without getting dizzy. If you want to continue this stupid argument then get your tape and a video camara and prove it.

I'm going to have to lean to thedeatons side on this debate. I wouldn't say WOT throttle the whole time but a good hand full of throttle most of the time. When I was at glamis there was rarely any idling going on unless we were waiting for everyone to line up. I was climbing, roosting, shredding everything in sight. I guess if all you did was drag race then there wouldn't be that much consumption.

thedeatons

#18 Post by thedeatons »

No need to videotape what I do to prove myself. If you want a taste then bring yer stuff and let's ride. I have nothing to prove, I know how I ride, and how fast we ride. Cdsracer has a Vapor and he updates us regularly on how fast we are going and how many miles we did in a weekend. Cdsracer and our firefighter friend rode 4th gear wheelies ALL THE WAY DOWN CHOKE CHERRY, and all the way down the bowl at Sand Mt, NV. Don't tell me what I do unless you have seen it and can discredit me. Innocent until proven guilty remember? Woods and trails have nothing on sand riding.

We don't drag race except for maybe two runs, we play follow the leader, which is essentially a sand hare scramble. We break once per hour and let the Dales and riders cool, then we are back at it. You should have been at St. Anthony's man....

UpsMan

#19 Post by UpsMan »

Well, I made it. We went nearly two hours, and had plenty left. The whole bottom part of the tank, where it flattens out by the sub-frame, was still full. Not a lot of fuel left, but plenty for today. The ATK ran great as always. I finished 2nd out of 7 in +40. The leader was within sight at the end. It was quite an adventure. I'll do a race report sometime tomorrow. I pulled the holeshot again.

ozarkdaler

#20 Post by ozarkdaler »

Good job UpsMan!!
Now look what you started with this thread. laugh.gif