Wayne Schofield Spun Flywheel

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
cannondale27

#11 Post by cannondale27 »

Class900 would you want to run with the uncut flywheel I have from Wayne?It is a risk to crank since it is really heavy.But I did run a Oval race with it and some.If so PM me your info and will send it to you right away.

wayneschofield

#12 Post by wayneschofield »

Just had a quick skim through posts tonight (and paid Ken some dosh I forgot I owed him for the brake lever bolts -whoops) so I didn't see cam reports yet no....

I feel the flywheels will be fine with the proposed revisions, I might just get them shot-peened too for better fatigue strength. I will be able to make them lighter than stock without the rim and will make a proper jig to make sure the ignition timing is spot-on the same as stock.

I have some small design revisions for the exhaust cam (decomp related) but apart from that and perhaps the final profile they should be set.

Any suggestions re profile can be incorperated.

claas900

#13 Post by claas900 »

C27 I think I'm going to pass on it t/y tho, for fear of snapping off crank other then that I'd run it.
Wayne I really would double check the timing on it. I really did like this flywheel please try to hurry on getting them made, lighter would be better

cannondale27

#14 Post by cannondale27 »

Wayne the exhaust cam need to be indexed opposite of what it is. Max Cam timing using the holes is 98. Use 98 as bottom. Tim's also had a fitment issue with groove for decomp. Intake was fine for timing but go with less duration. They are holding up great so far.

wayneschofield

#15 Post by wayneschofield »

For simplicity's sake do you think stock profiles would serve us better.... no need for a bespoke mapping session etc...?

Has anyone come up with a profile that works better than stock (who would be happy to share).

The trouble is, these machines get used for so many different purposes it isn't a 'one size fits all' kind of job is it?

cannondale27

#16 Post by cannondale27 »

I bet at this point modded motors outnumber stockers at least for those who would buy a cam. I wouldn't have a clue what putting a higher lift, timed, modified duration cam set would do on a strictly stock motor. But at least take a look at the intake for duration. There is alot of reversion. Even stock motors I recall seeing that.

peterock

#17 Post by peterock »

Remember, my motor saw a 5hp gain from cams and single valve springs

thedeatons

#18 Post by thedeatons »

I just spoke with Barbara at Megacycle cams. I do not know her current job title, but I do know she was on the Cannondale account when Megacycle had it.

Barbara said Megacycle would love to produce more Cannondale cams, but would need a minimum order of 25 to start. She said Megacycle originally did 6 grinds total for Cannondale, and she can provide the specs on each cam provided we can get her the part number. She told me she would call me back soon with an approximate price per cam, assuming a batch of 25.

Barbara went on to say that Megacycle was able to solve many of Cannondale's original cam problems using their hard chrome idea on the water seal side of hte intake cam. While this process cost Cannondale ~$13 more per cam, it fixed their sealing issues. Megacycle also insisted on using 12 holes on each cam for timing purposes. Cannondale wanted to cut costs but Megacycle refused, saying they would not provide an inferior product.

According to Barb once Cannondale's contract was up they moved camshaft production to a firm in Italy, and dropped the hard chrome process and decreased the amount of timing holes in the camshafts, resulting in a price decrease for Cannondale.

This also resulted in us now finding difficult to time 2 & 4 hole camshafts, with hardness issues... an inferior product.

It's always interesting to hear people's stories. Barbara was very forthcoming about Cannondale and their dreams and problems. She mentioned that they were so far behind on paying their vendors that she began shipping camshaft batches COD, to which Cannondale became very angry. Barbara said Kibblewhite and Hanover Gear were constantly calling her asking her what they should do, because they were not getting paid on time. She told them she was setting a precedant by shipping COD, but the other companies did not follow suit.

Overall Megacycle seems like a very straight up company who knows how to make a good camshaft. Timbo and I have talked in length about their cams and agree that they are the only ones that do NOT require hardness testing, because of our trust in their product. Any other Cannondale cam is suspect. I think it would be an honor to get some more new Megacycle cams into production, as they are nearly unobtainable now!

What do you guys think?

cannondale27

#19 Post by cannondale27 »

Not sure if you were around but remember the Cams Haydug had made by some guy?I cant remember his name.Anyway the cams,springs decomps.Everything was absolute junk.Costed Timbo a ton on recalls and wrecked plenty of motors.Those cams were actually made by Megacycle.

Now granted these were just hardwelded by Megacycle but they did it.They didnt check hardness and they just plain looked like crap.They messed up bad.I agree original cams made by Megacycle were the best but I feel the reason they were the best was Cannondale must have required it.They dont show me in house quality control and thats what we need.We cant be checking everything.

I want to see Wayne succeed in his ventures with flywheel and cams.I have found only ones who truly care about our Cannondales and ATK's are those who ride them.The rest just want your $.

claas900

#20 Post by claas900 »

CWR? man what was that guys name?