No fuel pump

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
desertbound

#1 Post by desertbound »

So my fuel pump isn't turning on at all. Won't prime, nothing. Filter dry as a bone. I don't even hear a noise from it. Any suggestions on where to start?

One step forward, and two steps back. Fun times. mad.gif

ciscorc

#2 Post by ciscorc »

could be the driver in the ECU or the pump itself

desertbound

#3 Post by desertbound »

I just got the ECU back from being setup. Wouldn't it show in the procal if the driver was bad?? I checked the ground for the ecu. Thats good. Battery is giving juice because the motor turns over. Just won't start because there is no fuel. Whats the safest and best way to check if the pump is working??? I don't want to fry the ecu.

wistech

#4 Post by wistech »

Unplug the fuel pump and run a couple jumper wires to verify function.

peterock

#5 Post by peterock »

There should be fuel in the filter.

desertbound

#6 Post by desertbound »

I've got a jumper wire from the neg battery cable ground to the neg terminal of the pump. I have a wire on the pos of the pump, should I just touch the positive of the battery to see if it turns on?? I filled the filter with fuel and the plug is completely taken off the pump.

Canniboomer

#7 Post by Canniboomer »

Yep, you could touch to the POS terminal of the battery, for a split second, just to verify if the pump works or not. As long as the harness pigtail is unplugged, you won't hurt the ECU. If the pump is normal, it will humm with or without any fuel in the line. A fully connected good pump will self-prime within the first few seconds, when you first bump it to life with the start button.

desertbound

#8 Post by desertbound »

No life from the pump. The wire sparked like it was making connection the first time I tried and now there is nothing. I don't understand how the pump could just go bad from sitting on the shelf. More money, coming up. @#%*&!!!!!

Canniboomer

#9 Post by Canniboomer »

Actually, we have brought some fuel pumps back from the dead..... Try this before giving up on your pump:

- disconnect your return line at the tank pigtail and use a spare fitting (I think I may have sent you one) to extend that line off to the right side or into a separate container (or into a white rag is good, to help detect rust and varnish).
- disconnect the fuel filter at the lower clamp.
- with an air hose, cram it into the lead line into the pump, and give it a purging blast of air.
- fill the same line again with WD40, Liquid Wrench, PB Blaster, SeaFoam, or your favorite multi-purpose spray,....and blast again...and again.
- reconnect your lines, or when fumes are safe to try the pump again, do another direct 12-volt test of the pump.

You will find that if our fuelpump is seized inside, it may not make any sound or vibration at all,.....even with 12-volts directly applied -- but once the inner steel gerotor is freed up with solvent and air-blasting, they can return to normal operation! It's worth a chance, and you are cleaning moisture, rust, varnish, and possible gelling out of the lines, bungs, and fuel regulator at the same time.

wistech

#10 Post by wistech »

Tapping it with a plastic screwdriver also can free it up. It also works with injectors that get the pintle valves gummed up from gas sitting it them with the system open.