Couple ????

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
wistech

#11 Post by wistech »

The epoxy plug is from the main engine oil pump. I know because I rebuild them. It's right under the oil filter. If the metal plug it holds down is still in there, then the epoxy just went bad.

wistech

#12 Post by wistech »

I also have a few sets of motard gears if you can't find any.

desertbound

#13 Post by desertbound »

I didn't have any oil cross contamination so I assume the metal plug is still there. How do I fix it? New oil pump housing? I should just hold my questions untill I see what I'm working with. It may be self explanitory.

thedeatons

#14 Post by thedeatons »

John.... finally you have some good news... LOLOL smile.gif

cannondale27

#15 Post by cannondale27 »

Yes could be good news. Spring that got ground up is for the shift shafts I bet. A dab of grease on them before installing tranny keeps them in place. I can't imagine one of the metal plugs in oil pump falling out even with extreme pressure epoxy must have just let loose. Keeping my fingers crossed for you Desertbound. Glad your digging in.

NRath

#16 Post by NRath »

Yeah, it's hard to say it, but that's looking good. I'm really curious to find out where all the metal came from, though. I can't think of what could get ground on that much and still be running!

cannondale27

#17 Post by cannondale27 »

My tranny filters come out like that all the time. Clutches take a beating.

desertbound

#18 Post by desertbound »

Haven't found any visible problems yet. I got called to a jobsite for an emergency so I had to stop. So I'll finish the teardown tomorrow. I need to get something to take all the redline off. No missing bolts, all the blue bolts I can get to are still tight. Cams look good. Decomp is good. I found where the epoxy acame from. Hopfully tomorrow I'll find the case of the shavings.

Cams: I still need to check the clearance, but I was mostly checking to see that they weren't rounded, and that the decompression was intact.

[attachment=7707:cam1.jpg]

[attachment=7708:cam2.jpg]

Nothing visibly broken or loose.

[attachment=7710:goo.jpg]

No bending of hte clutch fibers

[attachment=7709:cluch.jpg]

Where the epoxy came from. How should I fix this??

[attachment=7711:oil.jpg]

claas900

#19 Post by claas900 »

I'd bet if the cams are good then the rest of the motor is likely ok, the cams get oiled last if I got it right. Make sure the clutch basket isn't rubbing on one of the bolts.
Tho it is possible that the crank is broken, but you should be able to turn it over by hand and see it wobble that way you don't have to tear the bottom end apart.

wistech

#20 Post by wistech »

Looks like your problem is the tranny so tear that apart to find where the shaving came from. I had a motard 5th sieze on the main shaft at a dune ride for no apparent reason. Funny thing is the I had never even used 5th gear . Look for a broken snap ring and make sure the tranny oil pump doesnt have a galled housing. The only way to tell if the tranny oil pump is working is to run the engine with slave cyllinder out . If oil pumps out the case you know its working. The pressure relief valve may have some junk in it as well. Nice thing about trannies is they are a dime a dozen.EH?