Couple ????

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
desertbound

#21 Post by desertbound »

I'll get the tranny taken apart tomorrow. Any suggestions on the epoxy thats missing? What kind do you recommend?

wistech

#22 Post by wistech »

2 stage 5minute clear epoxy does the trick. Couple bucks.

cannondale27

#23 Post by cannondale27 »

Awesome glad you dug in. It's going to be something simple. Like bolt rubbing. I really dont think thats alot of shavings on tranny. Can you guys tell if those are thick plates or thin ones because there are 9 in there.

thedeatons

#24 Post by thedeatons »

I believe a 10/9 stack is thin, and a 9/8 stack is thick...

rayspeed

#25 Post by rayspeed »

I thought you said you pulled the sump cover! I was thinking the one with the drain bolt in it and the return hose it was full of metal...if so that is the motor side and points more to crank bearings. Did I read that wrong or were you talking about the clutch cover?
If you have not pulled the sump cover I was talking about you might want to peek in there.

desertbound

#26 Post by desertbound »

I did pull the sump cover and there were shavings. Not as many as on the tranny side though. My oil filter and inlet filter were clean. I have a magnet in my sump housing so that is why they were there. I'm thinking that was just some left over from break in. I'm probably just gonna tear it all the way down if I don't find anything major wrong in the tranny.

thedeatons

#27 Post by thedeatons »

Magnet in the sump pickup..... excellent my son....

desertbound

#28 Post by desertbound »

Well I didn't find anything wrong with the tranny. All gears were good. All bearing were there. No shavings at all in the bottom of case. They all stuck to the filter and came out in the oil. It's wierd. I'm puzzled. All the bearing in the timing chain assembly are good.

This is what I did find. There was a little bit of rust on the end of my sparkplug. I have never had that happen before. Could I have blown a headgasket???

Valves are out of adjustment. One of the intake are fine, but one is waaay out.

Exhaust are .012 at seal .011 at decompression

Intake are .005 at cam gear side, .008, obviously good at the impeller side.

WTF???? I was in spec 5 hours ago. Maybe the valves are the noise. Do I use regular hotcam shims, or do I need cannondale specific shims?

No bolts rubbing or loose. Clutch still looks brand new.

peterock

#29 Post by peterock »

Could all be from the clutch.

As for the shims, the Hotcams kit is just fine. What did you set everything at originally?

wistech

#30 Post by wistech »

QUOTE (desertbound @ Dec 18 2008, 04:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well I didn't find anything wrong with the tranny. All gears were good. All bearing were there. No shavings at all in the bottom of case. They all stuck to the filter and came out in the oil. It's wierd. I'm puzzled. All the bearing in the timing chain assembly are good.

This is what I did find. There was a little bit of rust on the end of my sparkplug. I have never had that happen before. Could I have blown a headgasket???

Valves are out of adjustment. One of the intake are fine, but one is waaay out.

Exhaust are .012 at seal .011 at decompression

Intake are .005 at cam gear side, .008, obviously good at the impeller side.

WTF???? I was in spec 5 hours ago. Maybe the valves are the noise. Do I use regular hotcam shims, or do I need cannondale specific shims?

No bolts rubbing or loose. Clutch still looks brand new.

Nothin bad with your valve lash. My specs are .005 intake and .010 exhaust on all engines to control noise and cam wear. They will run forever that tight but Ive never gone tighter to find the limit. So you have metal in the crankcase? Small flecks or needle shards?