Royal Purple oil

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
Dachshund

#31 Post by Dachshund »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Feb 8 2009, 03:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I followed that oil study way back. Some good stuff there. Too bad they stopped doing it. They were planning to do Red Line and then Royal Purple if I remember correctly.

Dachshund

#32 Post by Dachshund »

As mentioned before, I run the RP XPR racing oil 10w40. Just for kicks here is the virgin oil sample analysis:

TBN: 12.5

Alum: 1

Iron: 2

Moly: 109

Boron: 3

Silicon: 4

Sodium: 3

Calcium: 2709

Mag: 7

Phos: 1034

Zinc: 1741

Flash: 430f

cannondale27

#33 Post by cannondale27 »

Good news.You have zinc.

wayneschofield

#34 Post by wayneschofield »

Short story about RP.

Several of my customers race BMW M3's. With aggressive cams they tend to eat the inlet lobes/followers.

One of the drivers owns a big plant machinery business. Some of the machines cost millions and down time for re-builds is something best avoided. Every oil change he has the old oil analysed. From the analysis he can see what inside the engine is wearing and if the wear is accelerating indicating a component failing.

The oil analysis guy recommended RP and, since then, there has been virtually no metal found in the plant engines old oil, indicating almost no wear.

The Driver (Harry Handkammer) thus recommended RP to the other BMW race guys and cam failures stopped in the engines running it.

As a stop-gap until I update it I put RP in my '02 Cannibal. It now has at least 80hrs on it on a stock motor. Only thing I've done is un-plug the coolant bleed and put Evans in it.

In theory it should have blown up ages ago.

There may be equally good oil from other manufacturers but, untill something changes my mind, I'll keep using RP.

MX Quad Dad

#35 Post by MX Quad Dad »

I think some of the dales will run and be reliable with good maintance and others fail regardless. I have a 02 Speed and I would say it has well over 80 hrs. on it and other than an HMF exhaust the engine is untouched. Our Moto probubly had close to 80 hrs. on it before the Z400 bearing was installed.

Back in 02 the amsoil 10w40 passenger car oil had the same API rating as the motorcycle oil (SG was one of them) I did notice the SG rating was droped from the passanger car oil and I switched back to the motorcycle oil which still carries the SG.

Back when I bought the Moto I was doing a lot of digging to make sure the oil I was useing wasn't going to distroy my engine. I found articals that were several pages long but really never said anything. One artical which I can't seem to locate explained the cost factor for the API and JASO ratings. and the way I under stood it, The API rating were established so a manufacture coulnd't void your warranty for not useing thier oil. and at the time of the artical, they said that Honda had oil rating requirements to maintain the warranty, but Honda brand oil didn't have the ratings on it, which i did check at that time and they were correct.